View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
dgorila1

I like this site because everyone is open minded and has the artistic vision to see possibilities that users of most "normal" RV sites don't believe is possible.
I looked through truckpaper.com and you can buy 40' container/trailer combos for much less than $10,000. This excites me as it makes the container conversion one step closer to reality. I originally thought I would need to build a custom frame but after seeing the trailer chassis I realized they can be modified to meet my needs and they already have a VIN and all the safety gear (brakes, etc).
My current thoughts are:
- Change the wheel size to ones that are shorter for maximum use of the container space.
- Cut the frame in front of the wheels and behind the 5th and drop it to lower the container height as much as possible (most are 13'6" stock height).
- Modify the floor of the container over the wheel area to allow it to drop lower over the wheels. You would still have plenty of headroom in the container since most are over 8' tall inside.
- Fabricate lower storage compartments under the trailer for all the utilities and storage.

The containers are built in a way that the perimeter frame work is the supporting structure. The thick metal walls add even more strength and rigidity but can be modified (openings cut) without worrying about loosing structural integrity (I researched these several years back for a possible business of converting them for mobile offices, sleeping quarters, etc).

I'm still trying to determine how to best attach exterior and interior wall and roof covering. Exterior wall: you start with the steel panels that have alternating bends, cover this with a combination of spray on and rigid insulation held in place with sikaflex. Now comes the problem of securing the outer panel covers securely. I have thought of welding angle iron vertically to the side walls spaced 12-16" apart to have a solid surface to sikaflex the wall panels to. Let me know of any other ideas you may have.

I'm not worried about the overall weight of the finished unit. Its going to be pulled with an HDT, and the reason I like the concept of this build is it's an indestructible, well insulated RV that can be lived in year round with plenty of head room and it will last forever (as compared to the commercial built units). The container is also waterproof to start with so its a good platform to build off of. Everyones thoughts/ideas?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote