View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
blizzardND

Posted March 02, 2009 08:29 PM
Framebuilder, I think I understand that the crossmembers have to be strong, my problem is that I only have 11 inches to play with vertically. The driveshaft in that area is nearly level and if the carrier bearing bolt flange is rotated down, I have 2.5" up from the lower flange. Also I need a minimum of 8" diameter to slip the yokes thru the x-member. and 5" hole on the drivers side to run the 4" exhaust thru.

My latest plan is to build 2 flat almost boomerang shaped pieces of 1/4 plate folded up. One to bolt to my 1/2" bolts along the bottom of the center frame rail. I will then bolt the carrier bearing to this plate, and once the truck gets gently driven the 1 mile to the welding shop, this plate will also be welded in. I am thinking of building and identical plate that will bolt to the top bolts the same as the previous plate only upside down. but with the 14 crosmembers welded to create the floor frame would an upper v-shaped crossmember be necessary?

I know this sounds a bit strange, but this project is strange. I fully expect you to be scratching your head on my above explanation.
-blizz

ps I pm you this same message, then I remembered that your emails get hung up in my filters for 2-3 days so I posted back her. besides his forum could use some life.