View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
geofkaye

....."prep" is the trick for interior walls....first coat the plywood on both sides with KILZ sealer also do the edges well....use either the enamel or the latex-but do a good job/if too thin use a second cost. I use fabric/or carpet that is used for headliners.....but you might use a vinal with an 1/8' foam backing also.....use a spray headliner glue-I use 3M- and apply it to the matching sides of the wood/foam let cure for a few minutes and them roll it on with a 8" roller to secure it to the plywood-fold the material over the edge and secure with glue and staples[this is why I use 3/8" plywood-it doesn't bow or flex much] stretch the material as you roll it on and make the edges tight and well glued as that is important over the long haul....reattach the panel with screws-not nails. Do each panel-you might have to trim the wood as you go-basically as you re-due each panel there will be some adjustment.....screws have a plastic washer with a cap and there are more variety's to use.....might also use 2" Velcro X 6" long but make sure that it is glued well to the panel and the frame....it will hold for years if you do the job carefully and there is no tension on the Velcro joint....try to stay away from buttons and screws as much as possible as it dates your rig....I have used the Velcro and covered all the edges of the panel-but it was over kill now that I look back a strip every 18" is quite enough-it allows some flex which is important over time. geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote