Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   HDT Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/)
-   -   WIA64TES versus the VN610 (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/wia64tes-versus-vn610-5732/)

SpearWarrior 10-27-2003 07:46 AM

Hi folks. I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now and I sure have enjoyed the information. Thanks for providing this site.

I am currently pulling a 35' Toybox with a 2001 Dodge 2500 TD (6 speed). After a recent trip to South Carolina, I told the wife "we gotta have more truck." So, here I am . . . doing the research.

Will someone describe the differences between the Volvo VN610 and the Volvo WIA64TES? I see that the WIA64TES was around prior to the VN series. What makes the VN a better alternative for camper/fiver purposes than the older WIA64TES, general condition and roadworthiness notwithstanding?

Many thanks.

DrFun 10-28-2003 03:36 PM

Some information on your question is in the MDT topic at 1995 Volvo ID and in the General Discussion topic at Volvo model numbers?

Regards,
Alan

SpearWarrior 10-29-2003 08:44 AM

Thanks drfun.

I've looked at those sites, but I still wonder what the major differences are between the VN trucks and the WIA trucks.

Suspension? Frame? Cab? Steering? Braking? etc., etc., etc.

I'm looking at the trucktrader and truckpaper; I notice a pretty significant difference in price. I just wondered if it was a function of the WIA being an older vehicle OR if the VN series is just a better design.

Thanks for the help.

Gary

2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab, Cummins HO/6 Speed, TST Adj Box, Gauges, Pacbrake towing a 35' Tahoe Transport fiver.

onezman 11-01-2003 09:33 PM

It's a combination of both factors.

onezman

https://onezman.tripod.com/yourrvhaulercom

SpearWarrior 11-02-2003 03:54 AM

Thanks onezman.

2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab, Cummins HO/6 Speed, TST Adj Box, Gauges, Pacbrake towing a 35' Tahoe Transport fiver.

Randy in Va 01-27-2005 05:06 PM

Spear Warrior..I will try to answer the question.
Most are seeking the VNL 610 and 770 because there is a chance they can register them as motorhomes with significant savings and benefits over a tractor. Some of the WIA's also have springs rather than air ride.

VNL's turn tighter and have better field of view as well.

Gary Atsma 01-27-2005 08:06 PM

Not only that, but the WIA's are also about an 8.5 on the 10-pt. butt-ugliness scale, compared to the VN-series. Their (the WIA's) build quality is also a few notches down. These trucks are at opposite ends of the spectrum from each other.

Randy in Va 01-28-2005 07:43 AM

Gary, got to agree with you on the truth of the ugly scale for non VNL's. I just don't think I am vain enough to pay 3 times the money for a pretty truck and just worry about the function of moving the trailer around economically.

Gary Atsma 01-28-2005 10:26 PM

I know what you mean Randy; a nice low price for a mechanically sound truck with a tight and rust-free body covers a lot of ugly. (Actually, they're not THAT bad!). If you find a good WIA, get it! Hope you find a good solid rig. Best of luck to you! Gary

KAYE RIVERCITY 01-28-2005 11:58 PM

......cheap is good!...geof kaye said that! ugly is in the eye of the beholder.....after all have you seen some of the women guys marry?...........

Gary Atsma 01-29-2005 05:37 PM

Have you noticed all the 2-for-1 sales on paper bags? 2nd one's for just in case hers falls off.
THEN there's coyote ugly, but I won't go there now....

KAYE RIVERCITY 01-29-2005 08:50 PM

.....got a friend missing an arm-he is Sooooooo sick of that joke-which we tell everytime we go out to a strip joint......he sure gets mad and at his age we expect him to stroke out so we can put it on his tomb stone....his x-wife got a liscense plate with guess what on it?.....geof kaye

Gary Atsma 01-29-2005 11:20 PM

Hey, what are friends for anyway, huh?
OK, the license plate, it was right on the tip of my tongue, DANG! I forgot. OH well......