Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Default Which trans/gear set up

Hi, New to the site. I am considering buying a 99' Volvo vnl610 for a singling job and hauler bed. Gonna tow a 44 cargo trailer/ toy hauler. What is best offered trans/gearing to have good cruise rpm for interstate use?

Firemedic718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #2

your differential gear ratio is the most important, as most medium and heavy truck
transmissions have a 1:1 final drive. There are numerous sites on line that will calculate
your speed with a tire heighth, RPM, and final drive. Just went thru this exercize for
my cf700 ford. Now I am looking for a two speed 3.70/4.56 gear set.

woodboatwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

Have you looked at some of the trucks that are already converted and ready to go? I bet you'd be better off financially doing it that way. There are a few trucks available over on Escapees. I just found this one: 1999 Volvo low mileage, many extras - Escapees Discussion Forum

Jack Mayer has a nice '99 Volvo for sale too but I think it's being sold through 2L Custom Trucks and I couldn't find it listed on their site. I'd give them a call and see what they've got.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply. My Lo-Tech Ford is a 100% owner labor machine, and what I can barter, trade or buy at a junk yard for. It has a single 23,500 lb rear axle on a very short (120") wheelbase low cab forward chassis. It originally had a street sweeper mounted on it, but now is a cab and chassis. The upside is it only has 33,000 miles on a 6bt/Allison with a 2 speed rear gear with a 4.70/5.30 something ratio. Plans are to increase the power of the Cummins to the point I can cruise at 70. I plan to modify or build a trailer as a toy hauler with a stinger 5th wheel so that I can still use most of the trucks wheelbase for a flat bed. As I am in the HVAC business the toter project is on hold for a couple of months.
Woodboatwayne
woodboatwayne is offline   Reply With Quote