Join Truck Conversion Today
View Poll Results: How short should I single it ?
220" long or nothing ! 1 33.33%
185" why rock the boat ? 1 33.33%
160" VNM day cab 1 33.33%
150 or less ....... 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2015, 03:04 AM   #1
Member
 
jasong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Full time on the road
Posts: 69
Default Singling short, real short

Here's the thought, the dos and don'ts sticky said that singling short leaves you at around 185"
How much shorter can you go?
The driveshaft can have the length off the sleeper shortened out of it, basically down to say cab length.
One of the big hauler battles is front axle weight, this would help that.
Having a smart car adds weight even farther forward towards the front axle.
Moving the tanks to the rear of the axle would even be doable.
I'm not looking to get crazy, as a comparison crew cab pickup trucks are 175" range for an 8' bed, 155" range for a 6' bed.
__________________

jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Here's the thought, the dos and don'ts sticky said that singling short leaves you at around 185"
How much shorter can you go?
The driveshaft can have the length off the sleeper shortened out of it, basically down to say cab length.
One of the big hauler battles is front axle weight, this would help that.
Having a smart car adds weight even farther forward towards the front axle.
Moving the tanks to the rear of the axle would even be doable.
I'm not looking to get crazy, as a comparison crew cab pickup trucks are 175" range for an 8' bed, 155" range for a 6' bed.
As you move the axle forward, relieving weight from the front axle, you are adding that same amount of weight to the rear axle. By the time you move the tanks to the rear of the axle and place a Smart on the bed, you may not have much capacity left for your trailer pin weight, depending on how far back you place your hitch.
__________________

bmzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Member
 
jasong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Full time on the road
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmzero View Post
As you move the axle forward, relieving weight from the front axle, you are adding that same amount of weight to the rear axle. By the time you move the tanks to the rear of the axle and place a Smart on the bed, you may not have much capacity left for your trailer pin weight, depending on how far back you place your hitch.
Thanks bmzero, 45+ views, no comments and no votes had me worried.

Tell me if my figures are off,
18k axle
-3k car
-2k bed
-3k hitch pin
-2k fuel and tanks
-5or6k from truck ?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Thanks bmzero, 45+ views, no comments and no votes had me worried.

Tell me if my figures are off,
18k axle
-3k car
-2k bed
-3k hitch pin
-2k fuel and tanks
-5or6k from truck ?
Those numbers look fine to me, maybe even a little conservative, except maybe your hitch pin weight. That one should be easy to figure out, though, from manufacturer specs.

I don't know anything about your truck, so I can't speak to your truck weight, though. You can take it to a Cat scale at a local truck stop to find out.

Here is the weigh ticket from mine, just after the axle removal. This was with very little fuel in the tanks.


View High Resolution Photo

However, the moral of the story is don't go shorter than you need to. For me, singling mid was shorter than I wanted, but due to my neighborhood being very tight, that was the best decision. I still wish I could have singled long, but I would have still made the same decision.

They say, once you go short, you can never go back.
bmzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:12 AM   #5
Member
 
jasong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Full time on the road
Posts: 69
Default

What do you not like about being singled mid?
Your numbers look good.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
What do you not like about being singled mid?
Your numbers look good.
I don't like having to fight for inches when it comes to putting everything on the back of the truck. I had to extend the frame rails a few inches just to get the hitch pin where I wanted it. Extending the frame wasn't the problem, though, it's how much bed I'm going to have behind the rear axle when it's all said and done. I wouldn't say I don't like being singled mid, just that it has caused me to be slightly constrained with my bed setup.


View High Resolution Photo

It is also causing some problems with my options for loading the Smart onto the bed. I have scrapped several mechanical loading designs because there just isn't room for them in front of the axle. I'm still working on that plan.
bmzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Member
 
jasong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Full time on the road
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmzero View Post
I don't like having to fight for inches when it comes to putting everything on the back of the truck. I had to extend the frame rails a few inches just to get the hitch pin where I wanted it. Extending the frame wasn't the problem, though, it's how much bed I'm going to have behind the rear axle when it's all said and done. I wouldn't say I don't like being singled mid, just that it has caused me to be slightly constrained with my bed setup.


View High Resolution Photo

It is also causing some problems with my options for loading the Smart onto the bed. I have scrapped several mechanical loading designs because there just isn't room for them in front of the axle. I'm still working on that plan.
Got it.
That hitch is something else !
I'm planning to drive load with winch backup so I'm not worried about below frame rail space.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Grand Forks BC Canada
Posts: 167
Default

That hitch is the bomb. Who designed it-way cool.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 527
Default

somebody who spent too much time building road race suspensions built that hitch. Nice watts link! I presume some air bags are going under there somewhere? Where is the hitch head going? All the way on top like a reese? Or is something dropping in the center there? I see how it is located front-rear and side-side, but what keeps it from twisting front-back? Or am I only seeing the top two links on a four link? Looks good! Makes my TrailerSaver look downright primitive.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 527
Default

I just saw your baby on racing junk! Somebody is going to get a steal. What happened?
__________________

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.