Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #1

I have thought about getting a CDL and a Class 8 truck to pull a 5th wheel rv. In my state (Montana), I don't even need to get a CDL to drive a class 8 truck for recreational purposes within the state.
I was told that I should check with other states that I might be passing through to see what their regulations are. I would get a CDL anyway, but would I have to stop at weigh stations in every other state I go through even though I'm just pulling an RV?

It seems crazy that I would have to check with each state I go through to make sure I'm legal when I'm legally licensed in Montana.

Any help or tips from anyone who is doing this would be greatly appreciated!!

cummins1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #2

Location: Anywhere south in winter, Custer,SD area in summer.

I have the same thing, we are from Custer,SD. and don't need to have a cdl as long as we don't do commercial work. We studied the SD CDL manual, just for the info in it. 2.5 years of driving the Volvo 770 from coast to coast and haven't had a problem. I understand your state of domicile is honored by other states. But I've never been stopped and I never stop at the weigh stations.......
Mike
www.PressureProSystem.com

Mike McFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #3

Mike,
Thanks for the reply!
That sounds encouraging. I just didn't want to get into trouble with the law if I can avoid it
cummins1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #4

cummins1279, Check with your state regarding weight rated class of license. I know that here in Illinois we have a non-CDL class A or B rating specifically for the heavier non-commercial vehicles including motorhomes.

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

Keep an eye on the signs. Some states have signs stating all trucks pulling trailers and motorhome must weigh.
Hurricane95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdhomes View Post
cummins1279, Check with your state regarding weight rated class of license. I know that here in Illinois we have a non-CDL class A or B rating specifically for the heavier non-commercial vehicles including motorhomes.

Bob
Second the recommendation to look at your state license rules and see if they have a non-commercial heavy weight class type license endorsement.

For example, here in New Mexico I have a class E endorsement, which is specifically for non-commercial over 26K. Perfect for me, I could drive any vehicle actually, as long as for non-commercial use. Maybe I need to buy a dump truck
Old 10-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane95 View Post
Keep an eye on the signs. Some states have signs stating all trucks pulling trailers and motorhome must weigh.
I haven't seen this in the southern half of the USA. One more reason to not go north!
SHWHLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane95 View Post
I have been in 47 states and four provinces of Canada and can't ever recall seeing any signs like that. Can you tell me which ones they are?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #9

Here is link to a general overview of the various state laws.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/weigh-stations/
tgdameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #10

I still didn't see any that said Motorhomes, but then again I may have missed it. You are more than welcome to stop, but I can't say as I have ever seen an RV that wasin a weigh station except for transporters. I don't plan on stopping.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #11

Nebraska requires that all pick-ups with trailers need to pull into the weigh stations on the interstate. If ya do or don't pull in is up to you!
Bigtim44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #12

In Pennsylvania all truck have to enter way stations. Including s10 pickups van motor homes etc. I got run down in that state in my pickup truck pulling a trailer and got 360$ worth of non contestable fines unless i wanted to travel back their and go to court!!!
Moremph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #13

Been running thru PA every year for the past 4 with the mh pulling pick up and never stopped.

Will be driving 4 wheeler thru pa next week will have to look at signs.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #14

interesting about Pa. - when we lived in the shenandoah valley (of virginia) i ran thru Pa. many times in my crewcut long bed f350 and never stopped at any scale, even when towing trailers/cars.

according to some -

The weight limit for having to get weighed in PA is 10000 pounds (5 tons).

PENNSYLVANIA
Regardless of size, the following vehicles are subject to inspection and weigh station examinations: (1) agriculture vehicles when using public highways; (2) passenger and specialty vehicles towing large trailers; (3) large recreational vehicles, and (4) trucks.

- See more at:
Weigh Stations - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #15

We are right on the OH/PA border and have been running across PA and back for 20+ years. I suspect if you were stopped in a pickup and trailer you either had your company name on the side, or were doing something obviously commercial like a landscaping or construction trailer (PA also considers race teams commercial). Private non-commercial vehicles do not stop at weigh stations regardless of whether you are pulling a trailer. They have been very tough recently though on out of state commercial vehicles as those are easy pickings. If you are commercial and over 10000# gvw and cross the state line, then you fall under usdot regs, and a pickup and pretty much any trailer is over 10k, so they know they have you. I have had a number of friends with small construction companies here in OH get busted in PA with an armload of tickets for no dot numbers etc. But it has to be commercial, they aren't randomly pulling over Tahoes with boats and campers. Also of note is there are no permanent weigh stations in PA, only portables they set up in rest areas and occasionally targeted locations. For example they have been known to setup at the turnpike exits for Maple Grove Raceway or Carlisle for the car shows.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote