Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #1

Default Rv park parking issues?

Hello,

Just to be honest,I do not have a HDT, but we have decided that we need to upgrade our 1 ton that hauls our 40´ toy hauler.

I'm looking for actual experiences here.
Some of the people I've met have told me:
"You won't be able to fit that in some parks" (yeah, like my 40' 5er fits in those small parks anyway)
"Parks won't allow you in because it looks like a commercial truck in the front" "Parks don't allow tractor trailers"

Y'all actually own a class 8 hauler, what has been your real world experience?

jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
"You won't be able to fit that in some parks" (yeah, like my 40' 5er fits in those small parks anyway)
"Parks won't allow you in because it looks like a commercial truck in the front" "Parks don't allow tractor trailers"
I don't have a truck yet, but even I know that the people telling you that are blowing smoke up your ..um,.... backside. There are even sites dedicated to which campgrounds that are big rig friendly. Just do a search for "big rig rv campgrounds" and google finds 103,000 results.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 AM   #3

I hear you on the 40' fifth wheel, if anything the hdt is probably easier to get into most sites, plus you get the option of head in parking in some places which can be nice depending on the scenery.

Our experience is most private parks and all state parks you will have no problem being allowed in. Assuming it is a presentable late model unit you will have no problem at any private park. (and no offense to anyone on the forum here) If it is an old patched together looking homebuilt unit you will not be allowed in the snooty expensive parks that cater to the big rig crowd (big rig in rv terms, as in expensive pusher rigs) that have that have standards as to year of mfg, minimum size and/or appearance to get in the gate. But we have no desire to stay in those sort of parks anyway, we're not looking to have cocktails with the snooty people that stay there.

I don't remember who, but there was one poster here that had an issue getting his top of the line hdt truck conversion into a "class A" only park as they defined it as a "class C" since it has a truck cab. And it was probably a nicer rig than 90% of the "class A" rvs in the park.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:39 AM   #4

Thanks Hot Rod.
I'm trying to separate the personal experiences from the smoke gloom and doom.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Just keep in mind that I hear a lot of "You're going to kill somebody" about me pulling doubles (fiver and boat) with my pick-up too. You will be fine with your rig.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

we just got back from a 3000 plus mile journey - were 42 feet plus our Wrangler toad.

we stayed in the grand canyon (trailer village) - which had great 50A power, sewer & water...no problem fitting in the spaces there & no one even thought about denying us entry for a second.

we also stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad RV park in Williams Az for a few days - nice park good services & saw a couple of coaches "similar" to ours....mostly M2 chassis but there was 3 dynaquests and a jayco seneca there....we were welcome w/ open arms (or hands out for cash)

we moved on to Rancho Sedona RV a small (tight slots) campground in Sedona - very nice place....again we ran into a Jayco Seneca (M2) and there was even a renegade (M2 chassis) next to us our last couple of days....we got lots of looks (some not brave enough to ask questions.....others i offered to answer questions or talk about our coach too).

again NO problems at any of the places.

We've stayed in some pretty ritzy (acting) places - in Pensacola / Perdido Key, Fort Walton Beach & New Orleans....we almost always get approached by curious pusher owners (some even in multimillion dollar units). We've never had a problem anywhere !

Same goes for State parks in Virginia (on the shenandoah river) or many of the other state parks and beach parks in Texas.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

Fitting in a spot is not really any different than a big class A DP. Many of them are 43-45 ft length. Turning radius has to be considered of course with longer wheelbase. A class 8 tractor to pull a large 5'er makes a lot of sense. To me the added safety factor and (potentially) bigger engine make it a good choice.

I would say that the truck conversions are more likely to have jealous onlookers than a problem in my perspective. I almost always have some "nice rig", "that's cool" or similar compliments when I stop somewhere, even just for fuel. Of course fuel is at truck stops and so the truck drivers like the truck conversion.

While the high end DP are very nice, I can bet that the husband for many of them may secretly long for a T/C when they see them. Funny comment from one guy with a DP, told me he thought his was wimpy in comparison to my T/C.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #8

agreed - as i tell folks that wonder about driving "such a big truck" that i am NOT afraid to use reverse.

as for the jealous on lookers - we encounter a fair amount of snobs too there "whats that" looks and demeanor says a lot - when we were in sedona we got quite a few that would look and then sneak around the back and look some more....i politely said hello, how are you & did they have any questions....and they'd ignore me and slink off.

for fuel i try to get the cheapest but almost always migrate to Flying J - theyre less hassle - I use the RV Island and get the cash price no matter what card i use (debit or credit)....if i get fuel in the TRUCK island i have to go in and pay w/ CASH to get the CASH price & then i have to go back in & get my change....an absolute PIA IMO.

we get the same comments at the RV island...mostly inquiring minds want to know what our mpg is etc.

At the French Quarter RV resort a guy w/ one of those 1M+ (650Hp) newell pushers came over and had a beer w/ me - was all curious - which i found strange and then said "i always wanted one of those"....i was shocked.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Thanks to all for the real world answers and experiences.
Now, back to saving for that VNL !
Old 07-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #10

Tom while you in particular may be safe with your double rig, the length of your fiver and smallish boat sound reasonable, one of the scariest sights I ever saw on the road was a double rig like that. Picture a shortbed Ram 1500 from the 90's, pulling a trailer bigger than yours, plus a full size pontoon boat behind the fiver, with the nose of the truck pointed at the moon struggling up a very mild grade at 40 mph with the whole thing swaying around like a conga line. Scary. I put that thing in my rearview mirror as quick as I could so I wouldn't be involved in the pile up that was surely coming.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:05 AM   #11

Not to mention the rig is over the legal length limit.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #12

Not all people use common sense........
Old 07-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #13

With Flying J/Pilot if you are a Good Sam/Camping World member you can get a
their fuel card that works at Flying J/Pilot at any lane and gives the cash price plus
additional discount. No need to go in. There is a $1000 or $2000 limit on the card.
We went with the $1000 limit and I can "recharge" online during a long trip. It also
gives some discounts in the store.
Doug Ambrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #14

while I've never towed doubles Im not sure its all that unsafe....ESPECIALLY with our coaches.

sure length and braking need to be addressed but assuming they are i don't see the issue, assuming its permitted in the given state etc.

if the vehicles are properly equipped and can tow the 2nd item / trailer on their own i don't understand what all of a sudden makes it unsafe when its on the same hitch ball & safety chains (again assuming brakes are incorporated where necessary).

IMO this ranger pickup (that i saw years ago) is MORE dangerous than many towing doubles.

And heres another one - while i wouldnt do it (because it looks so top heavy) - assuming its secure i don't know how its LESS dangerous (again assuming that weight limits haven't been exceeded) than towing doubles.

Between this one & the Ranger pickup truck - i (personally) consider BOTH very dangerous.

in the WRONG hands both of these (while perfectly legal) could be equally as deadly as towing doubles.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Ambrisko View Post
With Flying J/Pilot if you are a Good Sam/Camping World member you can get a
their fuel card that works at Flying J/Pilot at any lane and gives the cash price plus
additional discount. No need to go in. There is a $1000 or $2000 limit on the card.
We went with the $1000 limit and I can "recharge" online during a long trip. It also
gives some discounts in the store.
Personally i don't LIKE pre-paid credit cards - giving someone OUR money to hold (while they don't pay me interest on it) is silly at best.....We pay OUR bills on time & get airline miles with our credit card (which are considerably more valuable).

I don't want to have some "special" card that i can only use at one retailer just to get 3 cents off per gallon. On some trips we would have to recharge the credit card before we got to our destination.

Just use the RV Islands given our small (less than 100 gallon each) tanks theres no real reason in my mind to WAIT in line behind a bunch of trucks that are filling 150 + gallon tanks.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #16

Don, you are giving us the worst case scenarios. Here are Minnesota the laws for recreational doubles. As you can see, IF you follow the law they are not a problem at all. I also have a camera that allows me to see the boat at all times from the cab.
1/2012

Three – Vehicle Combination – Recreational Vehicle
(Pickup truck/fifth-wheel camper/trailer)
Recreational vehicle (RV): Minnesota allows an
RV three-vehicle combination only if all
of the following conditions are met:

Only a “fifth-wheel” coupling is allowed
between the pickup
truck and the middle
vehicle.

The second trailer may only haul watercra
ft, a motorcycle, a motorized bicycle,
off-highway motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile
, motorized golf cart or equestrian
equipment or supplies.

The total combination of vehicl
es does not exceed 70 feet.

The towing rating of the pickup truck is equal
to or greater than
the total weight of
all vehicles being towed.

The trailer hitch assemblies, as well as
the pickup truck hitch assembly, must
conform to MN Statute M.S. 169.82.

The driver is at least 18 years of age.

No travel within the Twin Cities Metro area during weekday rush hour times:
6:00 am – 8:30 am and 3:30 pm – 6:00 pm.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntom View Post
Don, you are giving us the worst case scenarios. Here are Minnesota the laws for recreational doubles. As you can see, IF you follow the law they are not a problem at all. I also have a camera that allows me to see the boat at all times from the cab.
well i don't MEAN to give worst case scenarios - all i ever see is how (too many, imo) are against double....imo some shouldn't even drive a car or hell a bicycle for that matter.

I've seen PLENTY of pickup trucks towing mega 5th wheels that shouldn't...and from what i know lots of 'em are over their manufactures GCWR before they even rolled out of their driveway.

my point was that theres PLENTY of stuff out there thats unsafe, in the wrong hands...including coaches that ARENT towing anything.

im not sure how Minnesota arrived at the conclusion a fifth-wheel in the "middle" makes things safer...especially when you consider most 5th wheels aren't designed for a hitch / ball.

I'd contend THUNDERUSONE's (who is a member here) set up here is as safe or safer than Minnesota's code ....because the TOAD was designed & equipped to tow (where a 5th wheel camper is not).

Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #18

Well, I guess if you have decided that all sets of doubles are unsafe then so be it. I am not trying to argue or defend what the law says (there are some laws I don't agree with either!!), but if you were to drive mine with both trailers you will see that it can be done safely and easily. It is no different than with any other vehicle. You just need to understand what you have and what it takes to be safe.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #19

I don't believe all doubles are unsafe, in fact I'm not sure any doubles are unsafe.

I don't see how a properly hitched double (like THUNDERUSONE's) is less safe than what Minnesota requires. A fifth wheel (and a king pin) could come loose just as much as a ball/hitch.

as i said unsafe depends largely on LACK of proper equipment/preparation & skill, too many rule them out on SIGHT alone (based on their own skill or opinion).
Old 07-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
as i said unsafe depends largely on LACK of proper equipment/preparation & skill, too many rule them out on SIGHT alone (based on their own skill or opinion).
That the same for anything! Proper set up and knowledge is the key to safe travels, but unfortunately we have all seen drivers that turned a safe set up into an unsafe one due to abilities or lack there of.......