Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   HDT Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/)
-   -   RV hauler tow rig "Sleeper" remodel. (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/rv-hauler-tow-rig-sleeper-remodel-7591/)

jasong 07-24-2016 10:53 AM

RV hauler tow rig "Sleeper" remodel.

Ok, so who actually sleeps in their hauler?
That's what the RV is for.

My friends and I usually take a 6-8 hour trip a few times a year. Sometimes they get a hotel, sometimes it's tent camping.
Here's what I'm thinking,

1) Rip out the fridge, micro, port a potty etc.
Put in either 2 bench seats or two rows (split) from a coach bus.
The rear row would be slightly elevated. Seats 10

2) Leave the fridge, micro, etc. (Good for road trips)
Put in two benches sideways like in a volvo "office"layout with a table in the middle. Seats 6

3) Or, coach bus seats sideways, 3 on right, 2 on left due to fridge/micro. Seats 7.

Basically, a mini van with a flatbed towing an RV.

Opinions?

bushpilot 07-24-2016 05:19 PM

i know were a bit different jasong but thats the beauty of our unit (and even a tractor based toter)....only 2 reasons to stop....the dog or the driver have to go :D

we have even perfected the "flying driver change" (air outta the drivers seat (to the lowest position, wheel tilted forward and in its tallest position, cruise set...)

we NEVER hotel on the road, and we have NEVER bothered w/ overnighters in campgrounds (wasted money imo)...we have slept 8+ hours in rest areas (plenty even have dump tanks)....on the more leisurely trips we've even had dinner and showered (in the morning) before taking off again.

a "condo" tractor (fold down bunk above) and seating area would be great for sleeping in and or traveling/napping.

buddy of mine has a Quigley Van (E350 4x4) and we've driven that for hours on end (1000+) on road trip (motorcycle) weekends, no bath but comfortable sleeping in rest areas.

samcrimm 07-26-2016 11:36 AM

Everything Don said! We just about stay full time so far this year, been packing cleaning remodeling hanger and a house. So it has been close to 3 month since we have slept in our house bed. We took a trip did 3700 miles and only 3 nights in a Camp ground, one of the nights was in the county fair grounds, water elect and a dump station. Rest areas with dumps are GREAT!

Sam

hot rod 07-27-2016 10:23 AM

Depending on the registering state, some folks are forced to add items to their "tractor" to make it legal to license as an RV even though many or all of those items will never really be used. Also had one couple tell me they like the tractor set up as a functional rv as they often take one or two day trips from wherever the current base is where the large fifth wheel is parked, and just take the truck.

douglas 07-27-2016 03:43 PM

1994 volvo toterhome 40ft toy hauler

4 Attachment(s)
new to this site. lots of questions. I have owned this unit for 5 years. I love it. reading a lot lately, has me concerned on insurance. I am having trouble finding an insurance co. that will insure my toterhome and my 5th wheel. I haul my model T fords on (in) them. sometimes I just take the toterhome on tours with a car. and other times I take the toterhome and 5th wheel and 2 cars. had blue sky but not happy with them. some wont even talk to me because I haul a 5th wheel. any suggestions. thinking state farm? or farmers. I live in NY and travel mostly to Florida. have traveled to Washington, and a lot of the USA. Attachment 2382

Attachment 2383

Attachment 2384

Attachment 2385

bushpilot 07-28-2016 01:57 AM

welcome douglas !

i had blue sky for a couple of years until they jacked the rates, I've since gone to allstate who has all our other vehicles.