Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-28-2004, 10:45 PM   #1

Hello:

I am looking for a rig to haul my 17' center console boat and to provide living accommodations for me and my wife and possibly (in the future) a coupe of kids. I am considering an MDT because I would like to visit some out of the way places that I think would take a toll on a traditional RV.

My idea is using a flat bed wrecker MDT to carry the boat in its trailer or a specially designed dolly and pulling a travel trailer instead of building a motor home on the truck and pulling the boat. The reason is to minimize cost but also for security and comfort. I'm thinking that I could build a cover (possibly canvas) around the deck to hide the boat and pull an Airstream land yacht, which seem like very sturdy and comfortable trailers. The truck would be left looking commercial without much chrome and the trailer would not be polished to a shine but left to dull or painted as to not attract attention from thieves.

My questions are: Does my plan sound sensible/feasible? It is important that the truck have a comfortable cab (preferably crew-cab) and good ride on the highway. How difficult/costly would it be to find a flat deck wrecker with at a deck at least 17' long in good condition that would meet my requirements? Would I be better off just trying to find a conversion in decent shape and just towing the boat instead of spending the time/money to find and modify a wrecker?

Thanks,
Imanuel

Camuyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #2

.....I did what your asking about for a little while and now I have moved on to a class 8 with a custom built car hauler with living quarters....the wrecker is still used as a backup and When I just go fishing I take the wrecker and a boat up top or behind on the stinger-usually the stinger.....It fit my needs and then along came two opportunities so I went that route....My wrecker new was $42,000 out the door and a new Dodge P/U was $48,000 plus tax to pull the same weight-so I took the big one!.....I don't regret it as it isn't quite as confortable as the Volvo and carhauler....BUT when I get to a dock or ramp there is usually a boat/trailer/car/truck or some poor miserable guy that can't get it started no matter what he tries-and now has a dead battery or some other issue-which for a reasonable sum I can provide assistance.....all in all I have come out ahead on almost every fishing trip....$70 to hook up the car/ truck/ boat and $1.50 a mile....cash price of course.....geof