Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   HDT Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/)
-   -   Registering a Volvo as RV in California (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/registering-volvo-rv-california-7554/)

DavidJ 04-09-2016 04:58 PM

Registering a Volvo as RV in California

Hello,
I am from Oregon am selling my Volvo mid roof Semi Truck with my 43ft Voltage Fifth Wheel RV. The truck has been modified with one rear axel removed, a custom truck bed, interior makeover with a dinette, top bunk bed, TV/DVD, captain chair seating for 8. I had no problem registering this vehicle as an RV in Oregon.
I am now stationed in Las Vegas and I am selling the Volvo with the Voltage (also open to sell separate) and I am getting a lot of interest from individuals in California. Their main concern is registering this Semi as an RV to avoid having to get a CDL...expensive registration and insurance.

So, I was hoping someone with experience or knowledge could help me out on what the process is to do so. I know Cali DMV are notorious for being difficult on this matter but I would just like to know if it can be done.
Any links or info you could supply would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much.

DavidJ

Bob86ZZ4 04-09-2016 06:00 PM

Welcome to the Truck Conversion forum! Sounds like a nice setup you have there. I would think if the tractor is already registered as an rv it shouldn't be too hard to transfer it to California as such. This forum is mostly Truck Conversion motorcoaches. Single units with the tractor and living quarters all in one. Have you checked on the Escapees HDT forum? Lots of great information there dedicated to what you've got. The FAQ and Resource Guide there is chock full of stuff. Hopefully you can find the answers there. HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

hot rod 04-09-2016 07:05 PM

Welcome. Is it titled as an RV, or just registered as an RV? If you have it titled as an RV the dmv in any state shouldn't even question the title they will just issue a new title the same way. If you only have it registered as an RV and the title still says truck you may have to go through whatever state's process to retitle it as an RV before it can be registered that way. I know here in Ohio that is the procedure anyway.

bydesign 04-11-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJ (Post 45510)
Hello,
I am from Oregon am selling my Volvo mid roof Semi Truck with my 43ft Voltage Fifth Wheel RV. The truck has been modified with one rear axel removed, a custom truck bed, interior makeover with a dinette, top bunk bed, TV/DVD, captain chair seating for 8. I had no problem registering this vehicle as an RV in Oregon.
I am now stationed in Las Vegas and I am selling the Volvo with the Voltage (also open to sell separate) and I am getting a lot of interest from individuals in California. Their main concern is registering this Semi as an RV to avoid having to get a CDL...expensive registration and insurance.

So, I was hoping someone with experience or knowledge could help me out on what the process is to do so. I know Cali DMV are notorious for being difficult on this matter but I would just like to know if it can be done.
Any links or info you could supply would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much.

DavidJ

how much? details and pics of the rig? I am looking for a toter

DavidJ 04-11-2016 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 (Post 45512)
Welcome to the Truck Conversion forum! Sounds like a nice setup you have there. I would think if the tractor is already registered as an rv it shouldn't be too hard to transfer it to California as such. This forum is mostly Truck Conversion motorcoaches. Single units with the tractor and living quarters all in one. Have you checked on the Escapees HDT forum? Lots of great information there dedicated to what you've got. The FAQ and Resource Guide there is chock full of stuff. Hopefully you can find the answers there. HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the welcome. I apologize for posting in the incorrect sub-forum. I'll definitely check out the Escapees Forum. I hadn't seen it before. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot rod (Post 45513)
Welcome. Is it titled as an RV, or just registered as an RV? If you have it titled as an RV the dmv in any state shouldn't even question the title they will just issue a new title the same way. If you only have it registered as an RV and the title still says truck you may have to go through whatever state's process to retitle it as an RV before it can be registered that way. I know here in Ohio that is the procedure anyway.

The truck is, in fact, titles as a Motorhome. But the VIN number still shows that its a truck obviously, so insurance and DMVs still have problems.
Thank you for your input. That sure would be nice if it was just an easy transfer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bydesign (Post 45516)
how much? details and pics of the rig? I am looking for a toter

I private messaged you but it wouldn't let me include links because my post count is so small.
Heres the ad on RV trader,
2013 Dutchmen Voltage , Las Vegas NV - - RVtrader.com

Heres my ad on Craigslist with a couple more pictures,
'13 Voltage Toyhauler & '10 Volvo Truck, Luxury RV Package, MUST SELL!

Thanks let me know if you are interested.

I appreciate all the info guys! Thank you

Dj