Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   HDT Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/)
-   -   New Here - Need help with Volvo Conversion (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f98/new-here-need-help-volvo-conversion-4078/)

Canadian Rider 02-15-2010 03:38 AM

I have an Airstream trailer GVWR about 8,000 lbs. I would like to purchase a volvo 630 as my tow vehicle. I've been told this is too much truck; the ride for the trailer will be so rough the trailer will fall apart. Can anyone suggest what I need to do to properly convert the volvo to pull my trailer. If you have already done this I would appreciate seeing your pictures and hearing of your experience.

Thanks for your help.

Art

Bob86ZZ4 02-15-2010 06:28 AM

I've heard people say stuff like that too. I think that's the people that pull their trailers with Geo Metro's and wish they could pull them with a HDT. I don't buy it. I actually posed this same type of question here quite some time ago. Lemme see if I can find it.

Bob86ZZ4 02-15-2010 06:37 AM

Found the thread here: https://truckhome.com/eve/forum...9053/m/325100561/p/1

Canadian Rider 02-15-2010 07:43 AM

Thanks Bob; I read your thread and Geof made some good points. Looks to me like the trailer frame and not the tow vehicle should be my major concern. Have you had any issues with your trailer since posting in May? Hopefully someone who is towing a trailer will also add their opinion. Thanks again for all your input..... Art

Bob86ZZ4 02-15-2010 08:10 AM

Nope, no problems here. I pull a 24' enclosed car hauler. Last summer I put 8k miles on. About half were pulling the trailer. The trailer is all aluminum frame and the Vette inside is about 3200lbs. Total guessing about 7-8k. I still think that urban myth of towing something with a hdt or t/c causes damage is just poopoo from lightweight tow-ers.

Canadian Rider 02-15-2010 08:52 AM

Hi Bob;

Is your trailer a goosneck setup or regular trailer hitch? From the looks of your beautiful hauler I would assume your trailer is a regular trailer hitch setup. Have you had to re-inforce your trailer frame? Do you use an air-ride hitch or something similar to take out some of the road vibration? I know anyone hauling a Vette would be very particular how they handled it, especially the trailer set-up. Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate hearing from someone who is already doing what I think I would like to do....... Art

Bob86ZZ4 02-15-2010 09:52 AM

Hay Art, nope just a regular 40,000 lb rated hitch:

https://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs058...._2592582_n.jpg

The trailer is a Rance Aluminum brand. Nothing too fancy. No signs of any problems. I think it rides fairly smooth inside just from seeing how all the loose junk I pile up in the v-nose of it stays pretty much in place.

https://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs018...._3796871_n.jpg

Canadian Rider 02-15-2010 09:59 AM

WOW! Nice set up Bob. Thanks for the pictures. I like the idea of a hieght adjustable trailer hitch. I think I'll do the same. You must be able to travel in total comfort and security.
Is there anyone out there pulling an Airstream behind an HDT? Thanks again Bob ...... Art

geofkaye 02-15-2010 10:38 AM

....THERE WAS A GUY THAT DID THAT....HE ALSO HAD A BUS....CAN'T REMEMBER HIS NAME/HANDLE...IT'S HELL GETTING OLD, BUT-HE IS STILL AROUND THESE FORUMS.....AIRSTREAM AND HDT IS OVERKILL TO THE MAX....BUT WHAT A WAY TO GO!....THOUGHT ABOUT IT MANY TIMES BUT MY NEEDS ARE DIFFERENT SO I HAVE A HDT AND A 37' CAR HAULER WITH THE INTERIOR FINISHED BUT REMOVABLE[ON CASTERS] IF NECESSARY FOR GUN-RV-TRUCK-CAR SHOWS AND OF COURSE FISHING AND HUNTING AND A LITTLE CAMPING IN FLORIDA IN THE WINTER....MINE IS MORE UTILITARIAN THAN MOST PEOPLE CAN STAND BUT VERY DURABLE AND HEAVY DUTY....GEOFKAYE AND THE RIVERCITY GROUP

vapoppa 02-15-2010 11:06 AM

geof--- why wouldn't setting up the rear springs to a more reasonable weight rating help?----mase

geofkaye 02-15-2010 12:44 PM

....mace: any softening of the ride will make things last longer..the truck air bags will damp the ride somewhat....but an air hitch is even better. There are several on the market currently. I rebuild trailer tongues heavier or heavy in the first place so modifications are not needed[bridging].....anyway welding laying on my back is something I really hate as my happy workers have to get me upright after each weld and they think it is funny as hell to have to drag the old man in an upright position again.....I don't know which is worse...the job or the jokes about being old...........anyways all trailers will settle some over time and buying a new on is just part of the fun of owning portability.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Group in the snow in Cincinshitty Ohio .....

Canadian Rider 02-15-2010 03:27 PM

Geof;

Thanks for your input. I just want to be safe and comfortable going down the road and through the mountains. Also want to enjoy some of that BLM land I've read so much about on different forms. Still considering what would work best for us. Climbing in and out isn't a problem. I can see us driving east to west most years as we have lots of family on the west coast; so I thought an HDT might make that run more comfortable....... Anyway I'll keep watching for input. Every suggestion is appreciated. I have seen several pictures on this form with an Airstream tucked behind an HDT. Hope to hear from someone who is presently pulling that set-up....... Art

Bill B 06-07-2010 07:07 PM

GEOF - I believe that your thinking of Don in East Texas over on the Escapees forum - Used to be active but hasn't been there in a while.

LostSoul 07-04-2010 05:19 PM

I think if you are pulling the rv trailer with an Empty HDT the bumps and jolts are going to be far more severe than if the HDT has a house built onto it. Most of the folks that pull 5th wheels use an air ride hitch to protect their rv from shock. Something to think about is that a fully loaded 5er weighs about the same as an empty 53' van.

Straight Time Stirrups 08-21-2010 03:40 PM

I would strongly suggest getting an air ride hitch of some type. The back end of your trailer is damped by the trailer suspension. The front of your trailer is damped by the rear suspension of your tow rig. Your trailer will be beat to a pulp over time. Its not just your trailer structure but the inside cabinets and the like that will take a beating!

Joe

PS. I know this from a friends experience!

Burt Chapman 08-21-2010 05:38 PM

Bob,
Do you have any idea where I could get a hitch like yours, I found one at Ruff Neck but the gentleman has neglected to give me an invoice to pay so he could ship it... maybe business is really good ???

Chris Taylor 08-28-2010 07:00 PM

OK, I don't know the full story on this, but a buddy just picked up a Volvo HDT TC, and just saw an update on his facebook with this picture:

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5180359_n.jpg

He had a Miata in an enclosed trailer, I just asked him for spec's on the hitch, will probably take a while to hear back as his other update is that he's waiting on them to put the trailer right-side up!

The toter (and I believe the trailer):
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7531609_n.jpg

geofkaye 08-28-2010 07:05 PM

....CLASS 3 NOT A 5 LIKE IT SHOULD BE....NEEDS A SOLID MALE PART NOT A TUBE.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz

Bob86ZZ4 08-29-2010 05:30 AM

Yep, he shouldn'ta used that hollow one for an enclosed car trailer. Even if it only had a 2500 lb Miata in it. Trailer was likely 4k+ empty. Tools and spare parts. Too bad. I hope insurance takes care of it.

ReneRitter 07-15-2011 04:36 AM

Hey Canadian rider; I just converted a 2005 VNL-630, e/o removed the front rear axle and placed the rear/rear axle in it's place, shortened the frame etc. I was pulling my 40' trailer with a 3500 Dodge dually before and never felt safe! thus the idea of the Volvo!
I find that the Volvo is a lot smoother than the Dodge, I can see that since the books stay in the book case of my trailer, whereas before all the books would be lying on the floor after a few pod holes. not to mention the ride, it is like being in heaven!
If ou want to be in control of your ride, take the Volvo, with 450 HP and 1650 Ft/lbs of torque there is no mountain in Canada to stop this assembly and when on the way down you will have the engine braking to back up your service brakes!