Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

Default New to the HDT community

Newcomer, live A little South of London On, Looking at getting back in to the RV scene after a few years abscent, have a few years to go before retiring, but when i do i'am hitting the road, I had a "A" liscence for many years and let it go about 10 years ago, looking in to converting a 630 Volvo or a 430, was wondering what kinda deal is it as far as a liscense, what do you require ???, I dropped down to a DZ, very familiar with truck being a heavy equipment and truck mechanic for many years so the conversion may not be a big deal, i have a very well equipped shop to complete the work, need some thoughts from guys that are already doing the HDT, seems the truck are fairly resonanble with regards to price, looking at 6-8 year old truck with about 800,000 k on it, what is some things to think about, also not to interested in a heavy duty pick up to do the pulling for 60-80 G's, when you can do it with a real truck for under 50 G's

appreciate any feed back
Thanks Curt

curtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:57 PM   #2

welcome to the fray!

at least in the states there is no CDL (commercial drivers license) needed for a PRIVATE RV, you may need an "air brake endorsement" (class b).

I've been stopped 2 times, and neither time did they check to see if i had any special endorsements.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #3

In Canada they call it a "Z" liscence,Air brake endorsement, yes i do have one.
So in the U.S do you need a CDL to travel with a HDT ???

curt
Old 02-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

NO CDL is required. Especially if the HDT (or MDT) is registered as an rv.

theres a guy in calgary (i know its far from you) that modifies & sells used HDT's for 5th wheel/toter home pulling, he retitles the HDTs from commercial to RVs....he could probably tell you whats involved in re-titling.

http://rvhaulers.ca/contact-us/
Old 02-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Lead foot.........lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
welcome to the fray!

at least in the states there is no CDL (commercial drivers license) needed for a PRIVATE RV, you may need an "air brake endorsement" (class b).

I've been stopped 2 times, and neither time did they check to see if i had any special endorsements.
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #6

Ya Don, that's a lot of stops. I wish they'd stop me so we can chat.

Curt, are you looking to make a "Truck Conversion" (single complete motorhome unit on a HDT chassis), or a tow vehicle to pull a camper trailer?
Old 02-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #7

Both occurrences were for tag issues - no front tag and no tag sticker (in the window). I think it was really an excuse to ask about the coach and what was in it.

Both times I invited them to come inside and look....after they saw our sheep dog and my concealed carry permit they declined.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #8

Actually, looking in to converting to pull a 5th wheel, i will do all the work myself , looking for deck ideas and if i require any additional liscences, the deck info iam looking for what is the best way to go as fas as something big enough to put a small jeep on or something, cant see me driving a smart car, also thought about getting something with a wet line to incorporate a sliding ramp system to accomodate the lenght of jeep or something, thinking out load
thanks for any info anyone could provide
Curt
Old 02-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #9

One with a wet kit shouldn't be terrible hard to find in Ontario. I just did a quick search for Volvo 630 with a wet kit and found these right away: Volvo 630 Truck | Buy or Sell Heavy Equipment in Ontario | Kijiji Classifieds And a lot more here: https://www.google.com/search?q=used...ale+in+ontario
Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Isn't the 430 a day cab? I'm pretty sure you're not going to want to do this build on a day cab truck. Most of the guys that do this use a sleeper for several reasons. One big huge reason is because if you outfit it with the minimum items to qualify for RV or motorhome license plates you will save yourself a ton on registration, insurance, and licensing (driver's license that is).

Now, I would say don't even consider building your own. Or even having one built. There are so many available all built and ready to go. And you will spend pennies on the dollar buying one all ready. Here's one that I know the guy selling. He's a real stand up guy and he spared no money having this built. It's a real nice build. And about perfect for what you're looking for I think. The picture shows it with the Jeep and 5th wheel but the price is just for the truck. Trust me, you will spend twice that much to build it yourself.

2003 International HD Jeep Hauler & 5th Wheel Tow Vehicl for Sale in NASHVILLE, TN | RacingJunk Classifieds
Old 02-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #11

Have you looked around on Racingjunk? There are lots of toters there: Toterhomes/RVs/Motorhomes, Toterhomes for sale on RacingJunk Classifieds - 242 available
Old 02-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #12

A (pto / hydraulic) wet kit isn't necessary.
Plenty of folks build car/jeep hauling mechanism using simple electric winches.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #13

bob, thanks for the info, i believe you can get a 430 with a double bunk, i would like to stay under 11' to get in to my shop, agreed the link you sent me is a good deal, i do like the 630 also but i would like one with out the high rise bunk, and also for parks, appreciate the input, good to know. maybe i should re think the build
Thanks,
Old 02-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #14

Jay's truck (the International on racingjunk) is a mid height sleeper I think? I'm sure you could call him to see how tall it is.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #15

the winch idea is cool, k i'am ditching the wet line kit, you guys are blowing all my ideas out the window
that why i come here for answers
Old 02-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #16

Curt, I just sent you a private message.

I had some contact with a guy a few years ago that had bought a United Specialties Truck Conversion. He was in Canada. The truck was in USA. United Specialties had gone out of business. They hadn't certified for Canada. He had to get some inspection of some sort to certify for Canada import. I believe that International HDT I linked to on racingjunk was converted by Wayland Long at 2L Trucks in Texas. I'm pretty sure he's accepted by Canada. Might want to make sure though. Same for any truck you might find in the US if you're going to import to Canada.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #17

Default MDT/HDT where to start, who to trust

Hello everyone,

I've reading the forum for some time now and decided to write in to get opinions and information.

Looking to fulltime within the next 12 to 18 months and trying to decide between keeping the Class A or moving to a MDT or HDT in the near future. I started looking at MDT and HDT's on line and after a while it becomes a blur. I just worry that if I found something within budget and location, how do I know if it's any good. Is there individuals or companies that do reviews/inspections of these trucks that could help out buyers like myself. I would never live it down if I pulled the trigger on a truck to only have it die on me while starting out. I live in the Kansas City area and see lots of truck dealers but have not way of knowing who's trying to make a "buck" and who would sell what I need/want for pulling a 5ver. Thanks in advance for the advise and comments.

Randy
rwb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #18

Hello Randy,

Check out Jacks Mayer's site for some really good info on the HDT decision. I recently purchased my HDT and am in the process of having it titled as a RV. I also live in the KC area and would be happy to answer any questions that I could for you on the process.

Jack and Danielle Mayer

Brad

seniramsu is offline   Reply With Quote