Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #1

Need someone I can talk to. Purpose alleviating my fears of ending up with a class 8 one rear axle and no Motorhome registration.

Help

Randy

Old 01-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #2

You can email me at 73skylane@comcast.net
I will try to answer any questions you may have. David

Toterman4(David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #3

Randy,
I am in Va also. Where are you? I am between Richmond and Williamsburg.
My email is wickcopland@direcway.com
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #4

randy, mase sanford, i've got an '03 kingsley T2000 with one axle and a 27' box. it was origionally registered in va. no p'bms. the pictures are in warpath's pics. -- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #5

....so what do you need to know?....geof kaye
Old 01-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #6

I will get specific with the help I need. Goal is powerful and safe vehicle to tow my 40 foot Alfa Toyhouse.

I have been all over the place, from the advertised but not available 350 Heavy Duty (advertised at pull ratings of 19,200 but not really available to the public) to MDT's to converted Class 8's.

I like the idea of pulling with a Class 8 and sent for the information from the no 1 guy who does Volvo conversions.

My confusion comes from several areas. First is apparantly the need for the tractor to be registered as a RV or Motorhome in my state to make insurance a possibility for someone not making their living with the tractor.

To do this, some have put minimal furnishings in the extended cabs and registered them successfully in some states. This would end up having a RV pulling a RV which may or may not be legal in my state.

I don't understand why the fight to drop one of the tandem axles rather than buy a single axle tractor. Are we fighting to have the rated axle fall below some number?

Why wouldn't it be better to get a daycab a little money and add the largest sleeper I could find and convert that as the RV portion. Are we required to be able to get into the RV section from the cab?

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #7

....simplicity is the key word here....first check with the state and find out what the law says-then your insurance company....between the two you should have some idea what is legal and what is not....go from there. Single or tandum axels-there are pros-cons for both setups....I perfer tandums for traction and I'm too lazy/cheap to pull them off and move the rear up if I can see no reason for it.[$700.00] Also this is not my last truck-as at the end of the Federal write off depreciation[5-7 years]-I'll do another with a few changes. Mostly because of the newer engines coming on line in the next 4-6 years-and I do get the "new truck fever" now and then. I've had a great time doing my Volvo conversion and building a trailer to my specifications. Have you checked out movers used rigs they have a day cab and a large box called a "dromadary" which houses the movers quarters?....geof kaye
Old 01-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #8

....one of my partners is a Mayflower agent I can ask about the costs of a large moving tractor rig......but I know they aren't cheap-their road truck has been refitted several times and upgrades have been added....It has more than a million miles on it and with the wear and tear it needs constant maintenance....geof kaye
Old 01-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #9

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randy in Va:

My confusion comes from several areas. First is apparantly the need for the tractor to be registered as a RV or Motorhome in my state to make insurance a possibility for someone not making their living with the tractor.
-------------------

IMO, MOTORHOME registration is the only way to go. No CDL required, and no stopping at scales.

------------------

To do this, some have put minimal furnishings in the extended cabs and registered them successfully in some states. This would end up having a RV pulling a RV which may or may not be legal in my state.
-----------------

Specifically, you would be a motorhome towing a
5th wheel travel trailer. I have never heard of anyone having any problems. I had one customer who registered one of my conversions as a motorhome in Virginia Beach, VA.

---------------

I don't understand why the fight to drop one of the tandem axles rather than buy a single axle tractor. Are we fighting to have the rated axle fall below some number?

-------------------
First, there are very few single axle 610s in the marketplace. Watkins Motor Freight, (they pull doubles and triples) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head who use 610 singles. Of course there are other manufacturers as well. When Watkins disposes of their single axle units, they all have high mileage. Second, all single axle tractors have 23K rear axles. They ride rougher than 18 to 20K axles.

---------------------
Why wouldn't it be better to get a daycab a little money and add the largest sleeper I could find and convert that as the RV portion. Are we required to be able to get into the RV section from the cab?

-----------------

Any good day cab would work. It's easy cut a hole in the back of the cab. A sleeper can then be attached with a large rubber boot. This provides access from the cab. Check out sleeper and installation prices before buying. Also find out how they will mate an air ride cab to the sleeper box.

Larry
Old 01-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #10

It may differ from state to state but I just did this in Texas with no problem. I have a 95 Volvo single axle day cab. No sleeper, nothing. I just registered it as a private 3 ton pickup. Because of the weight of the truck, 6000lb payload was a low as I could get tags for. When I went to register it all they asked was buisness or private, I told them private, I spend money on it, it doesnt make a dime. It has passenger plates just like a pickup. I didnt want a toter-home, just goes against why I bought the short truck in the first place, being able to manuver a 40ft 5ver in tight places. The only thing I have to do is place the 'Private RV, Not for hire' on each side, in my case the doors. Progressive insurance in Iowa does the insurance for my truck and trailer, there are VERY few companies that will write insuance for a truck that has been used commercially before its intended private use. One full years registration for the truck, $185.00 One full year liability only for the truck $406.00 One full year for the 5ver full coverage including contents $1500.00 at approx $65,000.00 in coverage. I am a FULL timer. The 5ver is my primary home and the Volvo is my daily driver. I am retiring and selling the 03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Cummins powered dually. I just felt that the Volvo provides a safer pull for my world, thats all.

And no, RV means no CDL. Altho in Texas I should have a NON-CDL Class A for a private rig over 26,001 lbs combined weight.
Tim H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #11

I am going to throw my $.02 in here also. Just had a friend help finish his toter. Former single axle C+C Long WB 28,500-GVW Fruitloomer er He installed 14'of living space with a slide. Cab access,side door nice unit. Anyway he has always owned Diesel Pusher M-H's for the past 10-12 years. Insured thru a Good Sam Club?? type member program ?????(Not real clear on the right definition)His problem now is they do not want to Insure this due to not being "Factory Built"
He has been with this company for 20 years and never had a claim. Before he went to the DP M-H's he owned several other M-H
starting with a small 20' Winniethingy. He steps up often and has owned at least 12-15 different Models. This is to be his last one, Just retired from a well paying City Fire Dept. and is going kinda like "Full Time" but different. The Saga Continues,This all happened on Friday 28,1/06.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:45 PM   #12

....have him call Melissa @Thum Insco.....they are in Michigan and I haven't got her number handy....she will guide him through the process....mostly takin gpix of the finished product.....might try www.THumInsurance.com.......geofkaye
Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #13

Thanks Kaye, I will give him the name. I think there might have been some misunderstanding on the Ins. Co. end,Seem they thought it was a converted school bus. He going to find out more on Tuesday.