Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #1

I just found a 4700 Intenational with a 444 engine and 4 spd auto. 74000 miles. The price is right but I have never heard of a 444. Under CDL so mama could drive it, not really what I was looking for but I am trying to keep an open mind. Any input? Thanks!
Bunk

Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:21 PM   #2

A 444 as I know it is the same as the 7.3 used by ford in their pickups !

fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by fastlap:
A 444 as I know it is the same as the 7.3 used by Ford in their pickups !
....and rated at LESS power than the version used in Ford pickups (usually 175-210HP, compared to approx 250 in pickup guise)
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #4

It is chiped to 240HP. I went for a drive in it today, seems like a good truck so for!
Bunk
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #5

.....I had a Ford P/U and went through 3 engines and 2 transmisssions under warranty.....I traded it for a DODGE P/u and it was wholesaled to WV....the guy that was buying it called me and I faxed him the Dealer invoices.....$24,000 in dealer reported repairs to a $21,000 truck......Traded it on on Thanksgiving eve in '92....never looked back.....now that Ford is in bad shape-I say too bad-so sad....hope FORD goes belly up!.....geofkaye
Old 01-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #6

If you are looking in that direction.(Cost Wise)
It is a good dependable truck, But see if you can find one with the 300hp.electronic motor in it.I did two(2)of them and they are a good truck.You can even get quite a few chrome and interior aftermarket goodies for them.On one of them I cut the whole back of the cab out of it added some good bracing and put a KW walk in Studio Sleeper on it.It is a great truck for the east of the Sippamissy River.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 AM   #7

The 444-444E- powerestroke and 7.3 & 6.9 all share the same problem with cylinder wall erosion !
The most important thing with these engines is to keep the PH level of the coolant at the proper level
It should be tested twice a year and addressed acordingly!
I would not purchace one with more than 25kmi that has not been kept up on ! It is very expensive to fix once a hole or slit in the cylinder happens!
The engine block has to be bored and sleeved (there are no liners ) and this should be done to all 8 cyls at this time ( every time we only did the bad one, one of the others would go soon after !
I own alot of these things , there ok in a light truck (just ok) I have had 3 so far with bad cylinders the last one happening 2 days ago ! this is in 20 years of using these engines in many variations ( not too bad ) But I have seen hunderds of them with the problem !
WITH this engine luck of the draw plays as big a part as any ! This is something that was never fixed by International harvester! only the PH testing and addative has gotten better !
When I buy one used , my first question is > when was the PH done last ?? usual answer is what the hell is that !! My resoponse is sorry I am not interested have a nice day t
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #8

....also they like to drop oil pumps and run without luberication causing engine replacement 3 times.......geofkaye
Old 02-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #9

My 94 Powerstroke has 311K problem free miles. You have to take care of them, like anything else. Cavitation is a problem experienced by all Diesel engines to some degree. It is caused by the extreme compression ratio/power stroke firing pressure expanding the cylinder and then the rapid return to orginal size causing a low pressure area in the engine coolant and then the resulting metal damage caused by the collapsing air pocket. The SCA additive provides a protective layer on the coolant side of the cylinder. The PH check is the method to determine the amount of SCA in the coolant. To much, you could clog the radiator, to little, cavitation damage.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #10

Cylinder wall erosion was a problem in the Pre-Powerstroke / 444E motors. Nobody has been having those problems with Powerstrokes but the older 7.3 especially was problematic.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #11

....Ford Motor Co. spent $24,000 repairing my 7.3 ....3 times and also replaced/rebuilt my transmission twice......I traded it for a Dodge and then bought 12 more....they were sold with the HVAC company and some are still on the road....I lost two to Fire in the bed overnite from acetylene leaks and dumbazzs not turning off the plumber torches at nite......I still have one '92 which I use for military shows and a little outdoors foolin around.....geofkaye
Old 04-05-2006, 06:51 AM   #12

A 444E or Powerstroke will quit running before it damages itself if the high pressure oil pump fails. The fuel injection won't fire if there isn't oil pressure so you had to have one of the older engines. Also the Powerstroke uses a different block then the earlier 7.3 and 6.9. Newer coolants namely the gold stuff doesn't require the additives anymore. You may have a case on the 94 and earlier motors but the later ones have been pretty solid. If you want a real MD motor the DT 466 is the one you want anyway.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #13

....1990 Ford 4/4 ton SRW auto...POS.....geofkaye