Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

I'm new to TC.net and boy am I ever glad I found it. I am in the process of picking out which class 8 tractor will best serve our needs hauling a 41' 5th wheel toy hauler. GVWR on the trailer is 18,500 so it was either a Ford F450/550 or a class eight. Everything I have read so far on this and other sites tells me this is the right move to make.We're looking for something in the 30 to 35 thousand dollar range with a sleeper. I've read many posts, but some questions linger. Why do so many buy a dual axle truck then remove one of the axles? Is this required by law or is it for a mechanical benefit? I live in Florida and looked up the definition of an RV, but nowhere can I find anything referring to a class eight conversion and exactly what is needed to be done to insure a non-hassle registration process. Florida does not have a weight restriction for RV's driven w/ a regular license, as long as the RV meets height/width and weight requirements. I'm wondering if other states have a clause that allows a vehicle to be driven as licensed in the operator's home state that may not qualify in the state being passed through. Additionally, maintenance issues are intriguing. How much does an oil change cost and how often is it done? How about wearable items like steering components, clutch and brake systems?
Any info that can be passed along would be greatly appreciated. If there are any Florida residents that have done a class eight to RV conversion, I'd sure like to hear from you.
Rick Rutel
New Port Richey, FL

rrutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #2

Good to have you here, Rick. You are WAY better off buying a used class 8 truck than pulling that with a F450. I think I could answer some, but not all, of your questions. But, there is actually a forum almost entirely made up of people doing what you're talking about: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

Lots of good info there. Another site you might want to just take a look at is www.hdtrally.com That's the rally site for hdt campers. Not a ton of info there but you can see lots of people doing what you're talking about. Spend some time going around the Escapees forum and see what you think. Don't forget about us tho.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #3

Thanks, Bob. I've been checking RV.net too and it's amazing the information that can be readily obtained. Next week, I have to at least get a CDL permit in order to be able to test drive the tractors before I make a final decision. There are a lot of decent units available nearby, it's just finding the one that best suits our needs.
rrutel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #4

I started a thread on rv.net asking about the possibilty of creating a forum section for hdt's and truck conversions. Oh my lands. You wouldn't believe how I was attacked for that. It was the most incredible thing I could imagine. Those guys that started posting attacks to me should be banned forever for their flagrant violations of their own forum's rules. Yet they weren't. My rebuttal posts were deleted right and left yet they were allowed to continue their violations. Eventually they just deleted the entire thread! How's that for friendliness? They (moderators) should have punished the violators and clearly told everybody else that violations of the rules won't be tolerated. They could have blocked those guys out and kept the thread alive, or locked the thread and left it for others to see the violations. There clearly is a hatred for hdt's and t/c's by several of their people, including moderators. Stick around here or Escapees. I've never seen a attack like that here or there. Another one that has some hdt traffic is www.irv2.com . Good luck with your permit test. This is exciting. I think that resource thread has some state by state law info that might help you too.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #5

I'll second the Escappees forum, although it is a home for a bunch of full-timers the accumulated knowledge regarding RV'ing with a class 8 truck is not matched anywhere on the web.

Explore the resource section on the HDT forum, after 2-3 weeks of reading you will either be hooked into the "Darkside" or be running for the hills away!

good luck and welcome!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Administrator

You might try posting here as well....

iRV2 HDT forum
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #7

...JANET: DOES BILL STILL OWN IRV2 AND TRUCKCONVERSIONS?....ANY OTHER CHANGES?.....CANT FOLLOW THINGS ANYMORE FROM DAY TO DAY......geofkaye and the Rivercity Girls We are doing the RVIA SHOW IN LOUISVILLE THIS WEEK NOV 30 TILL DEC 2 AND THEN THE PRI SHOW IN FLORIDA ON DEC THE 8-9-10 IN ORLANDO,,,,, A WEEK OFF........ THEN FLORIDA TILL AFTER THE FIRST OF THE NEW YEAR.....DAMMMMMMMN. I NEED A VACATION!!!!!!!!
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Administrator

Almost 3 years ago both sites changed hands. You can read about this at iRV2 here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59...p-changes-42160.html and there is a post here as well somewhere. Shortly after the sites changed hands iRV2 was converted to a new software platform that was more secure and offered many more features for members. This same software platform change is long overdue here at TruckConversion.net and shortly we will be making this conversion.

Sorry about the memory issues.. not sure I can help with that

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote