Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

I road race an old NASCAR Winston Cup car. I've been using Suburban 1500 and 24' enclosed trailer. I spend too much time hooking the Suburban to the trailer, jacking up the trailer, getting the lumber yard out to roll the car into the trailer, loading the equipment, etc. etc. If we stay overnight, that is a night in the hotel.

I would like to get a used semi-tractor with a lengthened frame to accomodate 12' sleeper/living quarters, 22' garage, and a lift gate.

Has anyone done this? Owned one? Know of one for sale? Anyone have a line on who builds the lift gates on the NASCAR haulers? Pros and Cons?

Thanks for the help.

Dick

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #2

Racingjunk.com is your friend my friend, you can buy good used race trailers for half of what you will spend on materials and shipping. It would be cool to find a same vintage race truck/trailer combo as your car, keep everything period correct!

Shop RJ and come back and tell us what ya bought!
-blizz

Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #3

#90-GTSC,
Blizz is right there are tons of used trucks on the market. I contend that if funding allowes, there is nothing like having it your way. They call it racing "junk" for a reason ya know.

Try Hawk Engineering in Jackson MO. He has built a couple of car haulers on HDT chassis for some SCCA GT cars that I am aware of. He builds lots of HDTs with drop deck garages for the motorcycle community too.

I have a T2000 with a 4 bike garage on the back end of mine that he built. Feel free to contact me off list for more info if necessary. I race vintage cross country motorcycles and haul the bikes everywhere we go.

Jason Hawk (jasonhawk@hawkengineering.com) It is worth the email or a phone call.

Rad