Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #1

Has anyone here had experience with registering a conversion unit in Indiana? An e-mail inquiry to Indiana DOT went unanswered, as did one to the BMV web site. I was at a local branch today for another matter and tried to get some answers while I was there, but no one there seemed to know much about the idea of converting a HDT to RV status. They understood a body modification, and changing from commercial to private, but didn't seem to think "RV" would apply to the towing unit, only the trailer. I told them that as a CDL holder, I wasn't trying to avoid regulations, but didn't want to be subject to commercial regulations that shouldn't apply. They handed me a publication that covered commercial regulations, seemed to think that was what I needed. What I'm seeking is a guideline of what has to be done in this state to be exempt from commercial DOT regulations. The trailer sales seemed to think removing the commercial 5'th wheel and putting "not for hire" on the doors is all that is needed. I don't want a self-contained camping unit pulling my trailer, if I can avoid all that. At this point, a twin screw with one axle lopped off, proper 5'th wheel and brakes is all I want to modify. I'm still in the planning stages, but need to know what the minimum requirements will be. Obviously, it will make a big difference right from the beginning. Any suggestions??

NRA Life Member
https://community.webshots.com/user/hd_rider1992
HD_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #2

There have been several people that have done it and I myself have looked into doing it with a Volvo 730. There are several threads about it over on the skp forums.

In short, you need to get a LEO to sign a vehicle modification form for you certifying that you meet the IN requirements for a MH. I do have that info somewhere but since my project has been temporarily postponed, I am not sure where it is.

Anyway, once you get that form signed, all you need to do is bring it into the BMV and they will register it as a MH.

Like I said much more info over at skp...look for posts by "pete&carla" to start.

Of the people that have done it they have all said that it takes 20-30 min as long as you have the body mod form signed already.

You actually thought the BMV personnel would know what you were looking for?!?!?!

Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #3

Thank you for the swift reply; it was getting pretty aggravating trying to get even a good opinion from an "official". Initially, my only desire was to use a day cab and do the minimum changes to accommodate my 5er, but my wife has successfully argued the merits of a sleeper, even if all the extras aren't necessary. I like to know the minimum amount of conversion needed before embarking on this project. I'll follow your leads and see what I find. I knew someone from Indiana must have done this before!
NRA Life Member
Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #4

If I recall, you need 5 of the 7 most required items. The 780 our Kingsley was built on had 6 of them right from Volvo. The 730 that we had spec'd out would also have 6 of them.

If my memeory serves they are:

1) Separate power source (i.e. inverter or generator)
2) Cooking facilities (i.e. microwave)
3) Head (i.e. cassette toilet)
4) Sink
5) Separate HVAC
6) Sleeping area (i.e sleeper)
7) Frig

Our 730 had the microwave, inverter, separate HVAC, sleeper, frig, and even the fold down Volvo sink. Everything but the head which we have..it's a portable kids toilet since we travel with our 4 kids (all under 5) quite alot and I hate stopping every 3 min for a potty break!

Pete & Carla should be able to shed more light.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #5

Reading some of the earlier posts by Pete & Carla would indicate that a police officer that is cooperative, and understands your goals, would be a great asset in accomplishing this. I'm still gathering information to base my decisions on, and fighting the urge to rush out and grab the first rig that seems affordable and looks good. Having the 5er sitting in my drive with no means to move it adds to my impatience, but I don't want to end up with something that's "almost" good enough. My budjet is smaller than most that have built these, so "used" is my only option, and anything having less than 500K miles would be doubtful, as well. Still, I believe this can be accomplished, and have a rig that will do a good job for what we want. Already, this forum has provided me with a great deal of information by just reading anything that seems to apply. I'm sure I'll be a regular visitor, with many more questions before I have a completed unit. Thanks again.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #6

Does anyone have current information? Where to I get a vehicle modification form? I am in the market right now for an MDT box truck and I want to register it as an RV.

Truck Puller is offline   Reply With Quote