Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #1

Does anyone know if an HDT can be retitled after it has been converted to eliminate the need for a CDL. By conversion I mean singling the rear axle, removing all the fairings and switching to a weedburner exhaust, adding rear seating and windows, and removing the 5th wheel hitch (for now) and installing a custom bed. Basically I want to buy an HDT as my next vehicle for eventual use for long term 5th wheel living/travel. Prior to this it will just be a "pickup on steroids" :-) I wonder if by removing the 5th wheel hitch and converting it to a "passenger" vehicle I can get it retitled where I don't need a CDL to drive it.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? Thanks.

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #2

I just checked with the license bureau in my county courthouse. In Minnesota, you can retitle a commercial truck to an RV if you have 4 of 6 items installed. I don't remember them all but you can pick up the form at any license center here. Not really that hard. I asked about pics and they didn't care.

70chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

I don't think you even need to re-title it. I only know the laws in Mn and don't know a lot about them. In MN you can drive any single unit motor veh. under 26,000 lbs with a regular class D license. Now, there is a requirement for air brake certification on your d.l. if your driving something with air brakes. You can't use it for "commercial" puroposes if you only have a D license. You don't need any RV items. You would need RV items installed if you wanted to license it as a RV. Sounds like you just want to license it and drive it. You would have to license it as a truck since it's over a 3/4 ton rated chassis. In MN you need truck plates on any truck 1 ton or greater. A truck plate is just taxed higher than a passenger car plate. They tax you based on the weight of the truck. Semi trucks doing interstate commerce need "apportioned" plates which are taxed even higher. You don't need those. Some towns have restrictions on parking of vehicles not "designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of persons." That's how the ord. is worded in St. Paul. If you use the truck mostly for transportation of persons you should be able to park it on the street. If you were to use it as a work truck, like a dump truck or something, then you might get hassled parking it on the street. Also, if you license it as a truck you can't drive it on parkways which have max weight limits under what you're licensed at. I'd just take my title to the state when you transfer it and say you want a regular weight truck plate for whatever the truck weighs. Don't put any commercial advertising on the outside either, that'll mean it's a commercial veh. and you'll need a commercial driver's license.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #4

Here's the MN law pertaining to class D driver's license: c) Class D drivers' licenses are valid for:

(1) operating all farm trucks if the farm truck is:

(i) controlled and operated by a farmer, including operation by an immediate family member or an employee of the farmer;

(ii) used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies, including hazardous materials, to or from a farm;

(iii) not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier as governed by Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, part 365; and

(iv) used within 150 miles of the farm;

(2) notwithstanding paragraph (b), operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in section 169.011, subdivision 3, whether or not in excess of 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight;

(3) operating a recreational vehicle as defined in section 168.002, subdivision 27, that is operated for personal use;

(4) operating all single-unit vehicles except vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds, vehicles designed to carry more than 15 passengers including the driver, and vehicles that carry hazardous materials;

(5) notwithstanding paragraph (d), operating a type A school bus or a multifunctional school activity bus without a school bus endorsement if:

(i) the bus has a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less;

(ii) the bus is designed to transport 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver; and

(iii) the requirements of subdivision 2a are satisfied, as determined by the commissioner;

(6) operating any vehicle or combination of vehicles when operated by a licensed peace officer while on duty; and

(7) towing vehicles if:

(i) the towed vehicles have a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less; or

(ii) the towed vehicles have a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds and the combination of vehicles has a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less.

So, just have them license the truck for under 26,000 lbs and you can drive it. But you will need a air brake cert.