Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #21

.....your questions seem somewhat opposing in consideration of what you are trying to buy/build/own....1.0-depends on what the dealers sets the computer at 2.0-any where from 6 to 10.5mpg 3.0-10,000# trailer and 22,000 # tractor loaded. 4.0-might. 5.0-been thinking about playing with the idea some-but haven't got a lot of time lately. 6.0-NO. 7.0 have no way of knowing. 8.0-yes. 9.0-never owned one.10.0-nonejust service it and let it do what it is made to do. 11.0- 500 ISX Cummins with a super 10. 12.0 -nope. 13.0 can't waste the time and the insurance company would cancel me with a system like that in my garage. 14.0-bullsh* If true the carriers would be on it like stink on a stick.....1.1- only with the town folks about my truck and the mayor took care of that-another town tried-we will be going to court asap the attorneys are ready to file in my behalf. 2.1-

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #22

I just wonder if you could get a reclining loveseat in the bottom bunk area.... Probably have to take the backs off( they should slide right off anyway, ) and remove the passenger's seat of the truck. Just thinking out loud here...

NTPA Announcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #23

Wellllll.... After looking at least 1.25 million trucks......We finally purchased our truck . A 2006 Volvo780 with the D-12 and I shift. I had absolutely no trouble converting the title to a MH. ( No inspections were required ) We have partnered with Harrison Truck and Body in Wayne Ohio 419-288-2897 So far we are extremely pleased with the communication , the facilities, and the overall attitude of the team that is working on the conversion. As I get pictures I'll post as I can. Summer is my busy time, but I'll do what I can. So Hereeeee wee goooooo.....
Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #24

Great news. I like the pictures of builds. That's a great truck you got there. Lots of people using them to haul their 5th wheels over on Escapees HDT forums.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #25

Stopped today and talked to the build team. I like Gary Harrisons quote " I want to build it right the first time, not the second
Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Roper View Post
Themisfitking

First off beautiful conversion. Your Volvo is stunning and a fabulous example of HDT RV hauler should be.

I have been pondering one of these conversions for some time as I haul horses and these larger living quarters horse trailers are now getting too large to be safely towed by an F350.

I have looked at most all the HDT platforms and have decided on the Volvo being the best suited for my type application. I am hoping you or the other forum members can assist with a few questions.

1) With 465/1650 and 3.42s what is your typical cruise speed. Aka where does she like to run? 65, 70, 75.
2) Obviously speed plays heavily in mileage. What fuel mileage do you get at 65, 70, 75 assuming flat ground.
3) How much weight are you pulling? 20K, 25K?
4) Would changing the axle ratio to 3.00 help with mileage.
5) Have any of you begun using Hydrogen Injection such as HyDrive?
6) Are any of you running Michelin X One super singles?
7) If so did they help with mileage.
8) Have any of you had the chance to drive a tractor with the new Detroit DD15 yet?
9) Have you had any issues with the Volvo Engines?
10) What if any issues have you had with the Cummins Engines?
11) What would you recommend engine trans wise?
12) Anyone driven the new Volvo iShift yet? Thoughts?
13) Has anyone made and used their own biodiesel and had any issue with checkpoints?
14) Can anyone confirm the 25% improvement for Biodiesel / Hydrogen powered HDT's I keep hearing about in Hydrogen forums?

And now for some of the important questions.

1) Have you had any legal battles with Insurance, Registration or Operating this vehicle?
2) If so what states and why?

I will search some of the forums for these answers but would appreciate any thoughts from you folks.

Obviously those of you who have already done this have a world of knowledge from the experience. I would like to try to keep my mistakes to a minimum.

Thank you!

Dwayne
Dwayne,

As you can surmise, I own Straight Time Stirrups there are a lot of legal issues to contend with if you are roping with any of these trucks and even an F350. The best thing I can tell you is not to have ANY stickers or decals on the truck or trailer that dont have to do with the MFG of the truck and/or Trailer. I have a Peterbilt that I am building that has been put on hold because of all of the legal crap. Mine is registered as an RV but my trailer is loaded with decals so until I get them all off of there, I wont be pulling my 4Star with the Peterbilt.

Now, is it way better to tow with one of these? Hands Down its the way to go!
Straight Time Stirrups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #27

Geez,

I didnt realize this thread was started 8 years ago, lol

Joe
Straight Time Stirrups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #28

Haha, things move along pretty slow around here. I bet most of those old members aren't even on here anymore. This is about one of the quietest forums there is. I think it's because our rv's never break. And we're out enjoying them too much to be typing on the computer.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Haha, things move along pretty slow around here. I think it's because our rv's never break. And we're out enjoying them too much to be typing on the computer.
Wish I could say that.... My last trip to NE Ohio cost me $2000+ in transmission repairs. It would have been less but the repairs in NE Ohio were shoddy and I had to have it repaired again when I got home.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #30

But that was your Dodge little truck that broke, wasn't it? Once you get the HDT you're problems are over.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
But that was your Dodge little truck that broke, wasn't it? Once you get the HDT you're problems are over.
That's certainly what I am hoping for!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #32

Consider that tranny fix cheap. I just had to have a convertor put in the Allison in my C6500 in GA for $3800. Can't really say it "broke", just bad luck of a small crack developed in the convertor leaking fluid. I wish I was had been home in NE Ohio so my regular allison dealer could have fixed it. Who did your work up there? I can't think of any tranny shops in our area with a poor reputation. "Big" trucks do hold up way better, but reach for your wallet when they do break.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Who did your work up there? I can't think of any tranny shops in our area with a poor reputation. "Big" trucks do hold up way better, but reach for your wallet when they do break.
The guy that did the repairs was Mike Blood. He used a "lower quality" pump bushing and it cost me a pump. Once we pulled the tranny apart I found out he took a grinder to the steels.
Yep, when they do break it gets expensive quick. I was lucky, other than a heater hose, minor wiring, etc. the only troubles I had while driving big trucks was an injector pump on an NTC350 Cummins and a nose cone on a power divider in a SQHD front rear end. Both times I was able to get the parts and fix it myself. Oh! I forgot about having a pinion nut fall off the front rear end on the same rear end. The advantage for me was I was driving for someone so I didn't foot the bill!
Attached Thumbnails
20140813_094731.jpg   20140813_094720.jpg