Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-15-2006, 06:51 AM   #1

What kind of fuel mileage are you folks getting.
Also what motor,trans., and weight hauled.
Hauler or motorhome? Thanks.
Bunk

Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #2

Betwixt 9 and 13 depending mostly on wind, road and weather conditions. Ususally average around 10 overall with the M-11, Fuller 10 speed and GCW over the scales at 37,800.

Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 04:58 PM   #3

mercedes 450, meritor 12 speed auto, motorhome

9.5 towing a yukon xl (approx 6000lbs)

10.5-11 not towing, terrain and speed dependant I usually run 73 OR SO
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:17 PM   #4

27000lbs 10.3 avg. mpg a little more if I slow down!
14000lb enclosed trailer dont seem to change the mileage much if any

1994 detroit series 60 525hp 1850ftlbs
9 speed eaton volvo single axel , will run over 100mph (up hill)
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #5

.....10-12 depending on my right foot.....geofkaye
Old 03-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #6

I think this is somewhat related to a discussion on fuel milage. Are many people figuring out the per mile cost of operations for HDT motorhomes?
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #7

.......If you are trying to figure your CPM you are going to have a problem up front because of the lack of mileage driven in a years time and idle time.....OR you can get a program that does it for you that hooks to your 'puter on board with a lap top[Cummins has them].....If you worry about the cost of a class 8 you can't afford it. If you worry about the cost of a wife you can't afford her. If your worrry about the cost of your kids you can't afford them......get it!... it is a goal to work for....called independence......Think about what I'm saying....geofkaye
Old 03-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #8

There are a few get arounds that I use, And it is not a money thing.Its the present ADMINISTRATIVE thing I call GREED. I am not getting on a soap box here. Only STATING FACTS we have an overabundence of Oil out of all three coasts within 50 miles of terra-firma. Let alone the stuff thats easy to get right in
the lower 48.And I am not even going bring up the Alaska Issue.(I do know a little about this issue spending my whole working life in the Industry) Register & Tag everything"Farmer" and save about 21-31 cents a gallon. I been doing this for 20yrs.I do not know about other States.Where I am you do have to register. The State sends you documents to present if needed. A small $500.00 transaction per year in lost or gained revunue.Showing proof on your yearly registration. I have never been stopped or questioned in ANY OTHER STATE I have been in or through. All of them but Hawaii.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:36 AM   #9

My inquiry really had noting to do with anything you mentioned Kaye. You're right however about the goal; it's already checked off on my short list of things to do in life and I did think about what you said and I think you presume.

The only reason I had to ask was I happened upon a site advertising for people to haul/drive away RV's etc. and I questioned in my mind whether or not the amount per mile they offered seemd like an amount that made sense. Not that I'm ever going to do it, I'm just naturally curious.

Mark - What are you talking about?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy57PkUp:
My inquiry really had noting to do with anything you mentioned Kaye. You're right however about the goal; it's already checked off on my short list of things to do in life and I did think about what you said and I think you presume.

The only reason I had to ask was I happened upon a site advertising for people to haul/drive away RV's etc. and I questioned in my mind whether or not the amount per mile they offered seemd like an amount that made sense. Not that I'm ever going to do it, I'm just naturally curious.

Mark - What are you talking about?
Living in LaPorte, IN (about 35 miles west of RV Central - Elhart, IN) and having my property butt up to I80/Indiana Toll Road. I see all sorts of RVs (MH, 5ers, and TT as well as cargo/car/livestock trailers) go by being delivered by these people. There are a ton of them so it must be ok money. You're not going to get rich doing it but if that's your thing.

I personally couldn't stand sitting in all the traffic all the time.

To answer your question, I ave. 10.5 mpg pulling the Yukon XL and my best is almost 16 mpg with the Yukon XL in tow for 2235 miles.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #11

.....57PkUp....I don't persume anything....it's a fact of life -you never get to your goals if you are waiting for your ship to come in[luck-lottery-death of a realtive-finding a diamond in your back yard].....You have to set reasonable goals and work day and nite to obtain them-once there-....then start the process all over. A one year plan and then another one year plan and then maybe a 3 year plan and then another 3 year plan.....This is the same way an investment advisor starts your accumulation of wealth with a short term plan and each time it is met-adding a longer term plan with a higher goals....[I'll talk about risk at another time].......following sucessful peoples tactics is a good way of reaching your goals......'course the village idiot will give you advice at the carwash on investing your money.....and some listen to them!.....geofkaye
Old 03-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #12

Here is my 2.5 cents worth on the Tranporting/Towing of all the differant type trailers. 90% of those poor guys are leased
or commited to a Broker or Trucking Company (that does NOT own any Trucks) That has the proper authority to haul,move,transport these trailers across all of or parts of the U.S. These companys (Not the driver or owner of the power unit) are the ones that have contracts with the manufactors of the trailers. They provide cargo insurance for the load the rights to haul it and some other minor stuff. The company recievies a nice payment per mile, per stop, unloading delay time,And also a premieum for Expedite,Redball or Go Fast don't stop get there yesterday service and a Fuel Surcharge. That price now paid by the manufacture to the Broker/Trucking Co. is between $2.75-$3.00 per mile. In turn the poor guy thats doing all the work and has the expenses is getting a maximum of $1.20 per mile and a low of .90 cents per mile. And by the way the manufacture charges back the dealer that the trailer is going to some type of percentage that depends on how many they sell. The truck goes back to Elkhart empty (as in no money) for more of the dry insertion.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #13

Kaye do you ever get tired of listening to yourself? Oh no I can already answer that question, of course you don't.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy57PkUp:
Kaye do you ever get tired of listening to yourself? Oh no I can already answer that question, of course you don't.
The only ones who might get tired of listening to themselves would be those who answer their own questions, THEN not deleting the post.....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #15

.....<chuckle>....you always have the right to delete any post you aren't ready to deal with....[I do!] It's still a free country and you do have choices.....whether you use your choice or not is again- your choice!.......try not to get angry-just hit the delete button and you will immediatly feel better!.....[similiar to flushing the toilet-I have been told]....geofkaye
Old 03-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #16

Now..... if only the "delete" option worked on OTHER folks' posts....... NAWWWWWW!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #17

Oh man, suddenly 47% of all posts would just vanish! Hmmm, would that be a bad thing or a good thing? I don't think I'm qualified to answer that conundrum.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #18

Hey Gary & Chevy Pup:

Now Look Here You Two,Leave Kaye Alone I respect
him and we can all learn something from a guy like him. All the stuff that he has done like
Serving the U.S. in S.E. Asia,Being a Doctor,Work with the Rescue/Cadaver Dogs,Being involved with the Prison Work Program,Support for the "THE OHIO SCHOOL FOR TROUBLED & WAYWARD GURLZ" And last but not least,What he has taught us all about the INSULATION FACTORS in a Conversion or Home. Whats up with you Guys from California? We certinly do not need another episode like the one that Nice Mr.Wallik and I had. Wait a second here all three(3)of you guys are from the same STATE. Hey Kaye I think we have a connection here. Maybe there is not three of them and its only one person???
Old 03-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Hey Kaye I think we have a connection here. Maybe there is not three of them and its only one person???
Try again. Oh, and Geof knows the answers here....
Old 03-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Whats up with you Guys from California? We certinly do not need another episode like the one that Nice Mr.Wallik and I had.
Well, you were the one who made an episode out of a simple remark I had made.

I am sure there are more than 3 guys from CA on here, and I sure hope they are all different people and not one. I would suffer serious multiple personality disorder otherwise.

WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote