Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-31-2005, 01:39 PM   #1

My need was to pull a 40 Alfa Toyhouse. I got caught up in the RV Volvo thing because I was under the impression I needed to get registered as a RV for economic reasons and avoiding stops at scales.

After getting may inputs, many of them flawed (DMV) here is what I have decided. Purchase a day cab truck for very little money, avoid the RV thing which could be done for 13K or so to get me minimally RV legal, and pay $158 a year more to the insurer that handles my travel trailer to insure the liability on my road tractor. It will not be covered for any other use, but I don't think I care.

My tags are charged for personal use by weight only and would be $158 maximum a year rather than the $40 or so RV tagbs.

The cost of the large cabs seems to be hiked up by the new interest in RV conversions and Autoshifts are even worse. All I really needed to do is move the damn trailer )which remember is a self contained RV) from place to place.

If I have no need for a RV puller and don't want to put out big bucks to avoid scales for my several weeks of vacation till I retire, what'w wrong with my plan. I would rather spend my money when I got there than here at home.

I may still do a conversion, but it seems to not be economically feasable for me.

Next question, can a poor boy with just an old road tractor still hang out with such nice people on this forum!!!

I have one additional question. If I wanted to drive the tractor for other personal uses, does anyone know of an insurer I could contact? Progressive will insure the truck only while attached to the trailer.

Thanx to all those I have bugged and picked their brains!

Old 01-31-2005, 05:21 PM   #2

Randy, you might just be a poor boy with an old road tractor, but right now that's a big notch up from what I've got so far. As far as I'm concerned, so long as you like to do the same things as the rest of us around here, or even if you don't, you are hereby ORDERED to hang out here so you can be a willing victim to all the brain pickin' that's liable to happen once in a while. It wouldn't be the same without you.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:54 PM   #3

Randy: For the insurance thing, you might contact National Interstate. I have my tractor and 40' Alfa Ideal registered thru them.

As far as running with the big dogs. I would like to personally invite you to the 2nd Annual Class 7 Rally in Wichita Oct 3-9 of 05 with your truck and trailer.

Sent by Hughes.net satellite
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 PM   #4

....in order to avoid duplication of items-I think you are on the right track. Though, if you take day trips that sleeper is very confortable for that "required afternoon or after lunch nap" one has to take as one approaches the retirement years.....On the way to Fla....there was a 6 hour delay in Ga. because of a wreck involving HAZMAT Clean-up....I took a wonderful nap in the tractor on the side of the road.....3 hours....ate a partial MRE and took the dog for a walk as traffic wasn't moving anywhere at all....tractor was climate controlled at exactly 72 degrees with the underbunk and the generator running.....refrig had cold canned tea and I did use the Incinolet in the trailer....when traffic began to move I broke into line and creeped to the wreck site in the next 35 minuites....from there I drove to Macon for the nite....geof kaye
Old 02-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #5

Just when I thought I had it straight....
More input from DMV online

Look back up the thread to where I was yesterday. Looked like piece of cake. Now I am told the big money does apply if the rated weight of the combined rig will exceed 26000 pounds. Remember this is for NON-comercial use if there is such a thing.

Does that mean the tractor with two rears and a front would be 20 + 20 + 13 or 53?

Now DMV says:

There are several considerations that need to be addressed regarding operating a tractor.
First, how many axles does the tractor have? Are you planning to operate the vehicle out of state? If the vehicle has more than two axles, you need a fuel decal to run out of state. You would also need to apportion the plates to reflect the other states you will travel through on the registration card. Also, if the gvwr or gross vehicle weight rating is over 26,000 pounds then you need to have a CDL to operate the vehicle. The title fee would be $10, there would be no sales a use tax for a gvwr over 26,000. The registration fee would start around $1000.00.
You may wish to contact the motor carrier customer service line at 866-878-2582, this phone line doesn't have a high call volume as the regular customer service line.

DAMN, I am sick of this run around but hope it helps others.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #6

......what you are getting is a "responce" to a question likeFAQ"Sthat are used on every site in the world......this is nothing but a stop gap for operators answering ths same question 100's of times a day.....go to a DMV and get the boss to help get everyting right......or do as I have done and make friends with the local DOT Enforcement oficer......he and his son helped me build my VOLVO 610 and trailer into an RV which fits all the federal and state requirements.....geof kaye
Old 02-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #7

randy. mase-- i used to live in madison va.-- when i bought my T2000, it had to be titled as a "truck" because it wasn't an r.v. yet-- when i got back with the 27' box on it it was titled as an r.v. and as an r.v. {in 2003} an r.v. DID not need a cdl or fuel permits. since then i've been to nearly every state including ca. and never stopped for a scale, never had my license questioned, my sanity several times, but that's another issue altogether-- {your mileage and experiences may differ according to your driving habits}-- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #8

.....mase....that's the good thing about being "older" now....they let you get away with things that when you were in your 40's they'd lock you up or knock you out.....geof kaye
Old 02-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #9

Hey, look, I'm only 52, but can I still use the "senility plea" when pulled over for doing 85 in a 65 zone? Or maybe an advanced case of Alzheimer's? Just checking.....
Old 02-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #10

....I retired at 52 and it's worked for me almost everytime since I have gotten gray instead of Brown.....thought I can't quite quit working [6 hours a day seven days a week] I have slowed down from 14 hours...due to breaking my neck-back and pelvis along with a reconstructed left arm.....workman' comp said I was 50% disabled...do you think they realize that some of have different work schedules in our lives?....The "senility plea"will work everytime as long as I'm writing the Dx.....so just say I'll get a note and send it to you,to the judge-then remember to let me know-or at least don't forget to let me know what's up.....Then of course, If I can remember to write a script to cover the situation-whatever that might be- you should be OK....or locked up forever depending if I am having a good day or not......you can see it's more complicated than what everyone thinks......geof kaye
Old 02-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #11

Uhhhh, yeah, right, I can rest in the knowledge that whatever happens you'll be right behind me for something, it escapes me right now, but I'm sure it will come to me.... maybe .... or was that something else?
Old 02-05-2005, 10:15 PM   #12

....could be-then again maybe not....."Whatever" as most men say to their wifes of more than 5 years....geof kaye
Old 02-24-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
Ted

I pull a Alfa Toyhouse with a Volvo if you have any questions like, How much bounce in the back? do the closet doors come off? Answer to both. YES. But it is worth it IMHO, even the 4 months to get regestered. Again Yes...

http://www.northtech.net/gallery/Restoration
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:08 PM   #14

If you want to eliminate some or most of the bounce you are now experiencing, eliminate the forward of your tandem rear axles, thereby cutting your rear weight capacity DOWN to about 4 times the weight you are carrying when pulling that relatively light trailer. You do NOT need tandem axles to pull such a light load.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #15
Ted

Quote:
You do NOT need tandem axles to pull such a light load.
I know, still in the process of fixing up the M/H.
Do not like it, but I still have to work. The joys of no planning when younger.....

ted

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote