Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #1

Reading through the owner's manual for my Caterpillar C12 motor I noticed they advise to disconnect the fuel pump solonoid and crank the motor for several seconds if you haven't started the engine for more than 3 days. This is to allow the oil pump to circulate oil throughout the engine before starting the combustion process. 3 days seems a short time to require that, but it certainly can't hurt. I live in MN and store my Vette for the winter. I always disable the ignition before starting in the spring, crank it to build oil pressure, then hook up the coil and start it. I think that's better for an engine. So, the Cat manual doesn't suggest the best way to disconnect the fuel pump solonoid. I found the fuse for it behind the fuse box cover. I pulled the fuse. I inserted a short jumper wire from the keyed hot terminal of the fuse box to one terminal on the fuse (using crimp on connectors with 12 guage wire, should be plenty good to handle the 10 amp fuse). Then ran a wire from the other fuse terminal across behind the dash to the driver's area. Put in a single pole single throw switch. Ran another wire from the other switch terminal to the fuse panel terminal. Important to make sure to fuse protect the long wires that run from the panel over to the switch. Mounted the switch. Now I'm set to easily prime the oil system/engine before it fires up. I didn't bother testing it today because I didn't want to start the engine since I wasn't going to have time to pull it out and drive it a bit. I've posted this here as advise to others in case you didn't get an engine manual.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #2

Well, that didn't do it. I had the switch off and cranked it over and it started right up. I wonder why?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #3

...IF YOUR ENGINE IS ONE THAT USES SYNTHETIC OIL....FORGETABOUTIT!......SYNTHETIC 5W40 IS LIKE WATER IN COLD WEATHER....IF You're running Dino 15w40 that is another story....find that solenoid and add a on/off switch[use a 50 amp marine switch as they don't fail easily and will outlast the truck]...geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #4

Regular Shell Rotella T. I don't know if I agree about synthetic doesn't make any difference for pre-oiling before starting. I believe no matter what it's better for the internals if they are pre-oiled before being subjected to the loads which occur under combustion. Doesn't matter if it's synthetic or dino there. Cold or hot weather. Getting the oil (any type) circulating through the internals is better before firing.

Now, I just have to figure out where to interrupt the firing process. A truck mechanic friend told me the cut power to the e.c.m. before cranking and it won't fire. He thinks it will still fire without the fuel pump for a short time. I'm going to swing by the Freightliner dealer and see what they say.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #5

....BOB86zz4: for about $400 you can get a pre-oiler that will pump any oil into the journals and bearings every time you start it....the companies are dying so you might get one for $100 if you look around....larger inboard boats use them as they sit more and more...with synthetic they are not necessary for dry starts and the military doesn't use them at all that i"m aware of on any wheeled equipment since the start of the synthetic revolution.....['course the average life span in the war theater is only 30 days for wheeled equipment these days....but that is another issue altogether].....I'd suggest you e-mail Blackstone and Shell for their views......I could never figure why the engine oil system would be so critical and the auto tranny and rears and of course the lockers in the pumpkins wasn't mentioned by the pre-oiler guys since the systems also require lubrication on movement-they responded that they weren't so necessary-OK but it is whole bunch of systems that work together.....[apparently I don't know chit about mechanical systems-to the pre-oiler sales goons at truck shows] and caught bad looks from them while asking that question in front of others........anyway the Shell guys at Mid-America Truck Show and Great America Truck Show said that per-oilers were unnecessary with synthetics now....I'm just passing along stuff I have learned over the years by asking questions and looking at their research.....take it for what it's worth.....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote