Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > HDT / MDT RV Haulers > HDT Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-30-2005, 10:12 PM   #21

....wait a minuite.....you glued the truck frame to the box frame?....NO way!.....why?....or we talking about an older HUMVEE?.....any pix or even a pointer to where there is a truck like yours? NOW you got me really interested....where are you anyway.....maybe I can come out and look it over for you-if your not too far......with the internet and a digital camera we can get my friends up at John's to Dx. it .....sh*t !this is a new one for me......geofkaye

Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 AM   #22

As I mentioned in another forum, I also had a unlevel coach.

I had a second valve installed about 3 weeks ago and the ride is 100% better. I know it was mentioned that this could upset the balance of the truck, but I don't think so. Actually it makes it much better. At speed (which is where you would be most concerned with a truck being unstable) the change in ride height on each side is so slow that corners and such are not going to change things enough to unbalance the truck. Before when I corner to the right (left side being my low side) it felt like the truck really wanted to lean over. Now with the increased volume of air in that air bag the truck does not lean over while cornering.

You have to remember, most all diesel pushers and buses have individual air bag leveling for all 4 corners.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #23

the conversion company glued the box to the frame as well as bolted it
As far as the dual controls that wont help me cause even If I just fill the one bag on the low side and leave the high side bag totaly empty the truck is still low on the the side with the full bag ( either bag alone will hold the truck at ride height with no problem , but with the same uneveness or real close to it ! (I have isolated them and tried this( MAYBE THIS IS THE TWYLIGHT ZONE !) at least that is how I am feeling lately about this project ! I am noticing this morning with the ruck becomming mysteriously more level , that the conversion company has made the cab uneven from when they did away with the cab air ride ! well the welding on those peices sucks so bad that they will fall out soon by themself ! I didnt know rat turds could be piled that high ! thanks t
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:44 PM   #24

.....T.....who did this conversion anyway?....no air ride cab is bad enough but glueing the box to the rails and to the frame is frickin' insane....it's going to rip something apart sooner or later[probably sooner-watch for rivet and screw popping].....frame rails are made of flex-twist and yaw and twist again back to proper position....No way can they be made to not flex without breaking down the box.....even our Super Duty Fire truck has a plastic flex joint between the body and frame with U-bolts......and those frame rails are more than 12" tall and with a 3'' lip top and bottom.....even a SD unite like ours has rivets so the ladder frame can stretch without breaking-but also very visable to the nekked eye if one looks with just a plane flash lite.....the only partially sucessful frame to body attachment with glue that ever worked for any time is the HUMV and they have a rust problem.....geofkaye
Old 12-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #25

They said glue ,& it looks like glue to me !
Looks like frame ,glue , wood strip, glue, box frame, and anchor bolts in that sequence !
I dont miss the air ride cab , no difference in ride quality at all, but the pitch and yaw of the cab that was (considerable) is all gone, and I like it much better! I must add that this is the only motorhome that I have been in that is noise, rattle , and creek free! so something is working here , but will it keep working????
This truck is the best riding vehicle I have ever driven ( it was the best riding thing as just a empty s/a tractor also) (Very very unusual) and I have been around the block a few laps ! THis is why I started the project with this particular truck ! I drove it for 2 years as a s/a tractor about 50kmi mostly empty or light !
My wife and I would perfer to take it out to dinner and shopping instead of our car or pu
We are both motorheads and 525 hp 1850 ftlbs and 11mpg is tough to beat! Thanks T
Old 12-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #26

Can't stand it any longer. When you say glue and bolt, please dont tell me they bolted the box to the flange of the frame channel. Please tell me they drilled the verticle side of the frame rails. Most well built conversions that are just clamped to the frame and isolated with a strip of oak wood are very squeak and rattle free and remain that way for quite a long period of time.
dave mckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #27

They welded U channels every 5 feet to the outside of the horz rail and bolted vertically through a horz tab on the box and through the bottom of the U ! the glue is on both sides of the oak strips
this is noot the way I would have done it but it seems to work ! T
Old 01-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #28

My truck is now perfectly level side to side and front to rear!
My handeling is 100% better (it wasnt bad before!) I dont need a sway bar anymore!
I now know the secret to leveling air suspension (it has little to nota to do with the air bags!) or z springs
All it took was a trip to a great frame shop in epharta PA and a 2 day stay with the people there!(very humble nice knowlegable people)
one of the most worth while trips I have ever made ! Of course I must have called every spring and alignment shop in NY first and they all had the wrong answers , I now know the truck could have been leveled before I put the new bags and springs (front and rear ) in but I kind of like having the new parts ! while they were at it they fixed my brake issue (very simple ) every one with class 8 tractor needs to know about the brake issue !
anyone that would like to know more can email or call me @ 8456263412 tony