Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 11-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #1

94 volvo wia42tes factory single axel air ride
I am having trouble leveling right to left in the rear ! (front OK)
right rear is always 1.5" lower at ride ht. reguardless of ballast side to side ! with the bags dumped its level ! the bags are filled from the same port with a T , should they be ?
if I jack under the low Z spring the bag just compresses and the frame will not raise !
what levels these things side to side and is it possible to have a weak bag ?
there is only one leveling valve and more piping than needed , what do they all do?
thanks for any enlightenment you may offer
T

fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #2

.....check to see of the bags are the same manufacturer and size + incept date....sometimes they only replace one bag and things get out of whack[usually used].....if bad, replace both sides with the same bags manufactured at the same time by the same company....as the book says to do.....also look for differances in the bottom and top plates....measure one side against the other.....geofkaye

Old 11-15-2005, 04:31 AM   #3

I have now replaced both air bags with new and exact twins ! No help , it still sits low on the right !
I tried jacking between the front springs and frame , and that don't help either!
There has to be something else in the rear that sets side to side level ??
distances form the floor to the suspension are equal but floor to frame is unequal !
I am up to 3500# ballast and no difference at all What am I missing here ??? thanks T
Old 11-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #4

check yor ride height rods if you have two. on my kw there is only one but if--- you have two then could they be set at different lengths? --- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:25 AM   #5

Check the bushings in the spring hangers and any other suspension parts. Something is allowing the truck to "air" up different. If the bags are inflated they must have the same pressure in them. The low side would seem to be heavier. You have added ballast but I can't imagine that it would not make a change. Sure sounds odd..... What else is mounted on the truck?
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:12 AM   #6

wick, ballast up to 3500# has little effect on the level !
I drove this truck for more than 2 years as a tractor before the conversion and it always did seem to lean to one side a little ,( it didn't bother me as a tractor)
I had hoped the 11000# for the conversion would have leveled it, but its still the same and with the 7' of overhang as a conversion , it does bother me !
does the Z spring set the level? I was suprised that jacking the front did not cure this ! only one leveling valve in the rear on the high side ! thanks T
Old 11-15-2005, 10:34 PM   #7

....right front spring sagging?....4X4 alignment OK?.....time to head for the spring shop....might be cab is listing to the right or a weight shift because of fuel tank shift?.....many things to check....geofkaye
Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 AM   #8

fastlap
strange problem could it be that the frame is twisted?
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #9

well spooner that is what the spring people are trying to tell me , however , my backround is in race car fabrication and I can assure you that I know how to measure and string a chassis and with the air bags empty and the frame bumpers resting on the axel and the front set level on blocks this frame is as close to dead nuts as I have seen !
I am missing something simple here , I guess it will be a good lesson if can just hurry up and learn it !
I am thankfull for all the advice and Ideas you guys have given !
I am going to replace z springs next???? what do ya think thanks T
Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #10

....weigh each axel and then weigh each tire assemble on all corners.....something is screwey here.....are the tanks aligned with each other? front to rear or have they been moved to allow for boxes or generator?....I'd still say springs in the front end but they would have to prove it to me before I'd get out the wallet.....geofkaye