Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #1

G'day everyone,

Well I just wanted to share my joy in getting to finally drive my truck. Now that it has been shortened and the driveshafts, and cooling issues have been worked out. It is finally ready for the box to move over to it! Anyone have a 10K forklift?

Dodger

Old 09-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #2

you might try a low bridge underpass.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #3

Doc,
I dont think that's not the right tool for the job. The "Low Bridge Overpass" tools are generally used for removing the box from the truck.

Rad
Old 09-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #4

How tall is the ambulance, I liked all the storage but could not stand up inside, I am only 5'18" tall.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #5

MANY years ago, I forgot I was driving a box van (and not a regular van) and went through the drive thru .......... yes .....you guessed it. I had to pay for an overhang.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #6

the ambulance has a 5'6" ceiling. I can stand up and walk around with no issues. I too have had to pay for an overhanging sign to be repaired because I forgot how high my truck is. Soon it will be 10 inches higher, possibly higher than that if I go with 11r 22.5's. I called a crane service here in town who will deliver and operate a 12k forklift for three hours for only $255. So now I need to get my lazy butt outside and drill some holes in the frame for the mounts.

Dodger
Old 09-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #7

Dodger, I had 10 22.5 on my truck and they were outrageous to replace, so I went with 11 22.5 lopro and they are barely bigger than the 10s and much cheaper.
Secondly, i feel for you and the drilling. make sure and get some GOOD bits. they will save you a whole day of drilling.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #8

Doc, is therre a prefered drill bit fr frame drilling? I have a frame magnet mount drill press to use for the 40 holes i have to drill. It is one of the final steps before the box swap.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #9

The best drill bits I used were the Bosch bits. I'm sure there are plenty of good bits, that's just a brand that worked for me. I tried the cheap bits and went through three bits per hole. That does not equate to cheap. Obviously, make sure you use cutting oil.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #10

Ok, I figured on the cutting oil, then the guy who let me borrow the frame drill told me to use water instead of cutting oil?? Have you ever heard of this method? I figured I would give it a try, but at ten dollars a bit, I would like to make em last. Also I was reading in another post of yours about changing your title over to a motor home. I am very interested in doing that since my vehicle is only for personal use. Any tips or pointers on what exactly I need to install to make it an RV? Thanks,

Dodger
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #11

Want to love your drill?
http://www.unistar-tools.com/showprd.asp?pid=1230
RaceItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #12

Go to your local DMV (dept of motor vehicles) and see if they have a list of things you have have to do. Here in CA my local one had a list to follow. (Bed, stove, etc.) I think most places want to make sure that you won't add a few things then take them out so you can use your vehicle as a commerical truck. I was lucky, my dmv has some really nice folks working--not like some others that friends tell me about. Good luck.
papa skwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #13

Hay Dodger, I've heard of using water to cool the bits. I've never tried it tho. I usually use oil but it sure makes a mess.

I stole this from Escapees (thought it might be useful since this person is in TN also):

I work in Nashville near the state DOT offices so I went down there a couple times and talked to them before I bought my T2. I found out that it was very easy to re-title it as a motor home and they have never asked to see it. They don't give out a packet of instructions, but verbally they said that "as long as I am not using for ANY commercial use that I could re-title it".

The department manager said they have many things re-titled as MH's - vans and other things, etc.

My insurer (Progressive) was much more insistent that I meet several things, and they do not consider it a MH, but a HD truck. To make it a MH in their eyes they say it has to have "a full bathroom, including shower, not just a porta-potty in a cabinet, plus the normal, heat, air, 110 volt power, bed, etc. They also have never asked for photos, or inspection.

Mine still has the tags that give the class 8 capacities, but after singling I will be making a reconstructed tag with the new vehicle weights - it needs to be done before I get that little detail attended to. After learning the facts from T-DOT I got my title in my local county (they didn't know anything about all this and had to call Nashville office for instructions).

I got my insurance over the phone and Internet and off I went to Knoxville to drive my used T2 home. But I selected New Years day for driving so the State Weigh Stations were closed so I didn't have to do a long explanation about glad hands, commercial hitch, my not having anything but a normal drivers license - oh yea - I have a motorcycle endorsement.

I think the plates are just under $25 for the state, plus county fees that bring it up to about $75 a year and I've had it tagged for a couple years.

Here's the entire topic but it's got tons of stuff: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=62721
Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #14

Hey thanks for the info, sounds simple enough to me, I guess I was getting all worked up for nothing. I will give them a call to see what the deal is.