Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #1

Older (1980's?) Chevy Bruin 4000 gal jet fuel tanker with ~1800 hours/31,000 miles fueling jets at the airport. Cat 3208 installed in 2002, Eaton Fuller 10 speed, two rear axles, total length of truck about 27-29', spring suspension (rusty ubolts). Truck is free, a friend who runs the avgas/jet fuel business is getting rid of it.

Can I do something with this, or is it not worth the hassle and cost? Based on what I've read, the cost is really buried in all the little stuff, and the conversion - not necessarily the truck. I'd really be doing the build for fun, as I really don't "NEED" a toter at this point. I can do a fair bit of the fabrication once I'm finished building my new shop.

Bottom line question... is this truck an okay platform to start from? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

James2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

Oh, I forgot, GVW is about 45k based on my review of the last DOT inspection from a couple years ago. The wheels are dayton hubs and I'd like to switch to budd's so I can run alcoa's, but that will be a cost/hassle consideration.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

truck is plenty heave enough. but its built for hauling heavy loads at slow speeds. i would try driving to check top speed before going to far. also these trucks get a lot of running hours but low miles. they don't make that engine any more and i don't know about finding parts any more.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #4

Thanks volvoman. Appreciate the input. I didn't think about gear ratios, as I was assuming it would be easy enough to change gears, but never having worked on big trucks I might be assuming too much.

In thinking more about it, I might actually just convert this to a regular tractor with small sleeper, and then try to mount the tank on a separate trailer chassis. Then, I might get a bigger full size race trailer with living quarters. That way, I can get more use out of the truck, and in the future maybe get a dump trailer and lowboy to move equipment, in addition to the tanker.

Where can I find information about how the trucks are rated, as far as GVW?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #5

Sounds kind of neat. I like seeing all different kinds of campers. There is some guy running around with a airport fire engine that he converted into a crazy cool camper. Anybody know that guy's web site? I wonder if it's anything like your possible truck.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #6

Oh my gosh, I just found it: http://www.steelwheels4x4.info/-/steelwheels4x4/

Wow, the guy got divorced and he sounds like she took everything. Sold the camper. There are still some pics of it under the gallery section. I also found this about it: http://www.gizmag.com/go/3708/

Guess he should update that to note Ross' departure and where is that camper now?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #7

Bob,

Thanks for posting the links to that camper... it's pretty neat! It's a cool machine.

Mine is just a run-of-the mill older jet fuel tanker, not a fire truck. The more I read about the costs on here, the more I think I'll just have to try and convert it to a road tractor. Right now I don't have the time and money to get into another big project.

Still neat to check out all the rigs, though!