Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-20-2003, 04:29 PM   #1

I put my DP up for sale and plan to have a conversion done on a Factory refurb Century Class Freightliner. I was impressed with Showhaulers quality but a few differences (that no one else offers) in the Haulmark have caught my eye. First, they offer a "stand up pass thru" there is a removable cutout that allows the driver to stand and walk aft. Second, their slide is larger and is flush w/ the floor instead of 2-3" above. Third, they have a 2" crowned roof. I'm still not commited to anyone so feel free to express your opinions!

[This message was edited by Patrick on April 20, 2003 at 08:05 PM.]

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 04:51 PM   #2

If I'm not mistaken, Showhauler used to do all of Haulmark's conversion work before they decided to do it themselves. What I would do is come up with fairly close idea of what you want in a conversion, then see where the various conversion companies are price-wise. This way you compare apples to apples. Most conversion companies will do pretty much whatever you want, but at a price. Also, rather than compare features which anyone can include, compare construction techniques and quality of workmanship. Anyone can put in the bells and whistles you want, but HOW it is all screwed/riveted/bonded/welded/wired together is where the rubber meets the road. Good luck. Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:09 PM   #3

Wow Gary! I could not have said it better.

Absolutely be sure that the main structure is bullet proof. Such things as framing 16" oc; floor, walls & roof. Cabinetry should be solid wood (oak or what ever wood is used) do not settle for fake crap. How the truck chassis's frame rails are stretched, ect.. Really do your homework, some of these innovative features maybe nice, but if the guts are not 100% than the rest will be a nightmare.

I heard from a dealer that Haulmark was going to or is using a aluminum frame. Patrick, if you have details on their construction, I would love to know. I wish they would put more details of their conversion on the website.

Good luck on your search for the right conversion. Keep use posted and any info on Haulmark would be great.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:51 PM   #4

Here is their brochure...it shows it all.
http://www.hillwoodsales.com/haulmarkbrochures.htm
Old 04-20-2003, 07:58 PM   #5

Hi Bill!
Well, I guess you can tell I am starting to put a lot of thought and planning into my future rig. I figure by the time I can actually afford the beast, I should have it figured to the last poprivet!(LOL!) I do believe that when undertaking any project of this size, one cannot plan more than enough. Knowledge and foresight is power! And one can NEVER have TOO MUCH POWER! Take care. Gary
Old 04-21-2003, 08:39 AM   #6

Patrick -

Thanks for the brochure link. I have some concerns about their construction and I will say this before starting, I am not bashing, discrediting, or in anyway saying Haulmark builds less than a good rig. I have not crawled around one yet to say it is good or bad.

But from the info I see here are my concerns. they are basically using traditional motorhome(TM's) building techniques. Now that is not entirely bad, but one of the reasons I went with a truck conversion was to get away from some of the problems TM's have. Roof is 24" oc and the walls maybe even further out. So the very thin gel coat with luan backing is going to take a lot of chassis flex. In my last motorhome which had a similiar construction, you knew you where on the road. Cabinets vibrated on the wall, TV about bounced out of it's enclosure, and walking on the roof gave me the willies. The one thing I see is that with walls and roof structure that are 24" oc or better, how are they securely fixing cabinets that are solid wood and very heavy?

A truck conversion has weight carry capacity unlike a TM, so why are they going to such a light weight construction? Truck conversion companies need to be going the other way, and that is overkill! The cab and chassis are over built and so should the conversion.

I will say that the easy entry cab is very cool. Just be sure to climb all over that thing and check everything out, and again keep us posted.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:33 PM   #7

Patrick-
I'm with Bill on this one. Do yourself a huge favor and make sure whoever builds your unit builds it like a VAULT. I'm not kidding. It won't affect the truck one bit, and you will thank yourself endlessly for the solid construction to be had from the right people. Like Bill said, the truck is WAY overbuilt, and so should the coach that's on it. You owe it to yourself. Gary
Old 04-22-2003, 07:26 AM   #8

I just spoke w/ Lonnie @ Showhauler..he explained how the boot works between the cab and coach. The multi angle stand-up pass through boot Haulmark has is too new to know if it will stay in place when the chassis flexes. I don't think I want to be the guinea pig. One gripe about these conversion companies...Have they ~EVER~ been in a class A or a yacht?? A private head is a MUST HAVE!!!
Old 04-22-2003, 02:13 PM   #9

My new NRC conversion which just started will have private "head". I'll keep you informed of the construction process as the work progresses.

I'll be at NRC in Middlebury, Indiana on May 3rd to see how it's going.
paul.zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #10

Here is "THE" alternative to Haulmarks stand up pass through. http://www.becksmarine.com/Motorhome...ecoach1-03.htm
This is a Showhauler no matter what Nathan at Becks will tell you...so don't pay more to buy a "Becks Legend" This truck is a C120 with 70" condo, note the ~HUGE~ stand up pass through. This can be done by Showhauler though any dealer. Rumors have it there is less wind noise in the cab minus the bunk.

[This message was edited by Patrick on April 29, 2003 at 11:43 AM.]