Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   wheelbase requirement (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/wheelbase-requirement-4746/)

kblackav8or 07-27-2004 07:42 AM

I am shopping for trucks though not too seriously at this point. What wheelbase should I be looking for to fit say a 30foot motorhome? How much does it cost to extend to the appropriate length if not long enough and is it important to get close on that initially? What about trucks with set back front axles? Does that help/hurt?
Kevin

jts 07-27-2004 12:11 PM

i would pay good attention to figuring your wheel base most trucks are 12k max on the front axle my truck is fine until i fill the 2 tanks(270 gal = 2000lbs) then it's around 13k. there is a lot of planning generatorlocation and water tank location are 2 heavy items if your talking 30' overall you shouldn't have any problems but if you want a 30' box plus 9-10 ft of truck cab you'll be around 40 foot total
the wheel base shouldn't matter cause it prabally will have to be stretched anyway
i had a local guy give me a price for stretching my truck 91" and adding 50' to the rear and he gave me an estimate of 2800.00
i ended up doing it my self the only tricky part was the 4 driveshafts i had to do a little home work on the angles but it turned out fine.
i have a set backaxle and i like it alot it has a good turning radius i'm not sure of the pros and cons on that subject though

Warpath 07-27-2004 01:35 PM

My cab is 12', I have set back axle, (not sure what my cut angle is) my box is 28' so overall I am exactly 40', my wheel base is 336". The first 6 months where somewhat tricky getting use to the length and turning radius. Now I know where I can go and where I better look for a better way to go. Throw my 20'(24' overall) trailer on the back and tight secondary cross road turns can be interesting, but general traveling is no problem. Wouldn't think about pulling the trailer to most of the campgrounds we visit around here. These are definitely not day trip vehicles.

If you are looking at classic FL's, Pete's & Kdubs your turning radius will be worse. With that out front axle and long nose & longer box you will need even more room to make your turn. You just have to determine how and where your going to use your rig. If it is to the track and back, you won't have a issue. Looking to get on the back roads and do some site seeing with stops at road side attractions, good luck.

Bill

kblackav8or 07-27-2004 11:59 PM

I am looking at 28 footer's like yours. I am trying to eventually move up from my truck and camper and get into auto road racing along with camping etc. I will still need to pull a trailer. I am torn between finding that old gem or picking up a later model F-liner similar to yours. I like the lines of the classic better or a 359/379 Pete. I always liked the round headlights over the rectangular ones.
Kevin