Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-11-2004, 12:34 PM   #1

Wondering if anyone can summarize what the major differences between the Class 8 motorhomes and the commerical grade busses like the MCI, Eagle, Prevost etc?

I know the engines are in the back of the busses. Is that good, bad, easier/harder to work on...?

Any comments please?

[This message was edited by BravestDog on March 11, 2004 at 12:52 PM.]

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #2

Honestly they both are probably able platforms. Buses are more common these days. I would bet the bus will likely ride better but is not as customizable. Slightly limited in drivetrain selection compared to the Class 8. I have thought about a bus conversion too but like trucks and never do what the crowd does. Bus might be a little harder to work on the drivetrain. Bus is probably easier to install things like water and sewage systems since they already have the storage compartments installed. Might not be quite as maneuverable. The truck might have a shorter wheelbase. The truck will be more open to unique configurations is probably the only truly significant advantage.
Kevin

Old 03-28-2004, 10:14 AM   #3

We have both ---- 1976 MCI MC8 bus conversion and a 1998 Freightliner Class 8 conversion. Why both? Love the bus conversion!! ... but with a 2 cycle DD engine that hates hills and any altitude over 1,500' the bus is suited for flat land driving only. 20 MPH up the mountain west of Denver is not my idea of fun!!.... would be too $$$$$$$ for engine swap for newer 4 cycle engine, so purchased the truck and trailer as a better investment.

What do I like the best? After owning 5th wheel and TT plus bus conversion ---- I like the bus the best. Now if I could only afford a nice Prevost with 500 HP engine!!

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:49 AM   #4

BravestDog -

Are we talking professionally built or home built. This is going to make a big difference in the answer. Because professional built bus conversions are basically unattainable for most and most professionally built TC's are priced in the 125 to 175 range.

If we are talking general differences a TC can haul any trailer and a bus is going to be limited in what it can tow. I have noted that all of the big money bus conversions I have passed squat in the rear when towing just a single car trailer or smaller enclosed trailer. Not sure if the air bags are setup softer or just missed adjusted.

I will say I was on a bus tour last year and got to ride in a brand new prevost w/ a big pony motor and Allison 6 speed automatic and that thing really got up and moved out. And at 45' it maneuvered downtown city streets better than my 40' TC would have.

As far as getting work done a truck wins that hands down. You have full access to the motor out front, and any truck center in the country can get you rolling 24/7.

Bill