Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #1

I am in the process of planning to build a toterhome to pull a racecar. What are some good companies to buy doors, window, shower, etc from

D Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

Call TRINA at RV Surplus in Elkhart, she is VERY busy... but keep after her ...she will find everything you need.
Burt

Burt Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #3

Thanks....are these used and new parts?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #4

Hello,

My name is Tom Dible and I work for Uni-Grip Incorporated. We are a manufacturer of weather seals, accordion seals, Slide-out seals, trim products and the like. We sell our products by the foot and you can purchase directly from us using your Visa or Master Card. Our catalog of seals is available at www.uni-grip.com and I can be reached at tdible@uni-grip.com or 800-257-2289.

Thanks,

Tom
Uni-Grip Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #5

Buy most of your stuff from Menards, Lowes etc. that way you can get replacement parts for them later, most of the rv stuff is built light weight and odd sized. I would start with a Menards charge card so that you get the 5% discount, it will add up over the course of the project.

The Rv Specific stuff I'd get a Camping World membership, that way you can order specifically what you need and not have to design around some offbeat cast off that some Elkark surplus dealing bought in a pile so stuff at an Auction. If you go to your local RV Dealer they usually have free big RV catalogs for you to find 90% of the generic RV parts for sale nationally. Then order that part from Camping World.

Do I sound bitter towards Elkhart?

Hell ya,

I have a 13' powered awning that only once I built a custom box so it could be recessed, and got it wired up, only to find out it extened 3' (a slide out awning) then the peice of shit, failed to retract 400 miles from home, I had to dissaemble the awning and cut the fabric from the roller to get home. After dissaembling it yesterday, it appears I had a prototype that the drive gear was just tack welded to the drive bushing together. Of course no warranty. Thanks Bobs RV surplus in Elkhart!

I have a stack of windows that were NOT reversible left to right as I was told, Thanks TNT surplus Elkhart!

I have a microwave oven that was new in a box, paid a good price for it at Trina's RV surplus.
when to use it after rig all together... Missing the rotator part for the plate thingy.. had to wait 3 weeks for part from manufacturer!

Bought a flat screen TV form TNT in Elkhart, worked great on the showroom floor got it all mounted and went to hook up the dvd player into the audio in to find out that the audio in jack don't work! grrr..

Then of course the f%^$#G! 450 dollar inverter I bought at Trina's after a week on the maiden voyage I found out the charger wasn't working, causing me to dissemble the entire bathroom to RnR it. Called Trina to tell her about it, she said sorry Its been over a year since you bought it, can't help you. I sent it in to have a new board installed. Robert at "One Stop" explained to me, that he can't rebuild that one 'cuz some one had already been in it and done some custom work on it.(it wasn't me) but I'm sure Trina didn't know about it either as she probably bought 20 of them at an auction. Another 1300 dollars later plus a new shower cuz the one I bought from Bobs RV wasn't removable and then reusable! I bought a nicer NEW one from Menards. Cheaper than one I bought at Bobs too!

Trina's guys also sold me an alum. aux gas tank for my genny, went to put a fitting in it to find out that the threads were stripped.

Be careful which hatch doors you buy, the company that made min is out of biz, I can't get a replacement for the one I damaged.

I still have some 48" shades, 2 black tanks a TV mount a whole bag of electric outlets and switches and a pile of other stuff I bought in Elkhart that I'd love to sell, It just didn't fit my application.

Rant over... be careful what you buy there, most of the time there is a good reason it's surplus!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #6

D Money call me I'm in West Fargo, I'll make you a good deal on my extras I don't want to store or ship this stuff. I'll give you a crash course on RV building 101 too!
todd
701-793-0919
Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #7

Thanks so much for the heads up blizzardND and the advice. I am interested in seeing the conversion you built and getting a lesson or two on conversion building. I will be intouch as soon as things slow down alittle.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

Blizz,
Ya' Got Me Scared !!!
I went down to my garage this morning and unpacked all my stuff, that I picked up last year in Elkhart, luckily nothing was broken and the only two big ticket items was a fridge and my generator, I have used the generator so I knew that worked but the fridge didn't start when I plugged it in... boy I was like Blizz was right doesn't work, but then I got the directions out and found it needed 12 volts to run, now it's my new beer fridge till I get farther !!!
But THANK YOU, on the awning, I was going to order an electric one, now I will be MUCH more cautious. I think that is what makes this sight AWESOME, the info you guys give us starters and the expierence you warn us to keep both eyes open!!!
THANK YOU AGAIN
Old 08-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #9

....try to use household appliances instead of RV stuff....try to buy at Lowe's or Home Depot....they have a warranty that says for use only in a house and not an RV.....but they really don't care or investigate all that much.....my returns are to Lowe's and they never bat an eye b/c I do about 60k$ a year at my local store....also it is often cheaper to just throw it in their dumpster and buy another....example: a microwave is 49$ why spend another 75$ getting it repaired....somethings have just gone into mass production and the price has dropped form 700$- that I payed for my Amanna ( sp?)in 1972- to less than 50$ today....why deal with the aggravation when on the road....a chest type freezer with a 3 hour timer is the best way to solve the refrigeration problem....stove cook tops are 175$ now gas or electric the orifice to change over to propane is 4.79$....and you have all head about the split system...in a year or so they will be about the same price as a roof top unite....they work very well so far....wholesale is 862$ and next year will be cheaper specially in this economy.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #10

I think there is a fine line between the "surplus business" and the "junk business".

I too have been bitten trying to save a buck and spending many.

Rad
Old 08-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #11

....i also have a junkyard "AKA Recycling center" in Ky.- it is not only a cash cow but there is not much difference in the bidding process between the 2 for mentioned business ventures....another mans junk is another mans treasure and those that own such ventures always whine and talk poor.....a hundred doller investment in inventory is worth a grand....and don't let anybody tell you different.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz..[there are 2 things that can generate income in any business climate one is sex business and the other is a junk yard-so why do people buy gold?????- i buy things that go bang and ammo.....]
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #12

geof---- what's the difference between a junk yard and a sex business??????????--mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by vapoppa:
geof---- what's the difference between a junk yard and a sex business??????????--mase
You need a tetanus shot after a junk yard trip, and a different kind of shot after the sex house..
Old 09-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info guys, it will be a great help. The whole drainage and sewage storage will be interesting. Also, were is the best place to order the aluminum for the sides? And what is the best size steal square tubing to use for the walls? Any info is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #15

I got mine from a local Truck Trailer Repair, they are a nationwide Wabash Trailers... my parts guy was very helpfull and the panels are 49 inches wide for a nice overlap... not that I used them yet but getting there... I have a list of steel tubing I used if you want my layout email me... Geoff is very helpfull and has much more expierence , this is my first one...