Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #1

Im looking for a thin yet comfortable matress for my over cab bunk and ideas or leads would be great. thanks

Severed TIES toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Suggest go to an upholstery supply store & look at their selection of loaded foam. Most handle it in various thickness & dimensions.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #3

We had a local custom mattress place make us one using pillow top mattress springs about 200 dollars, really comfy.
-blizz
Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #4

....WAL-MART $19.00 for mattress pad made of memory foam and another $39.00 for a foam mattress.....cheap and if you get a leak in the ''granny closet'' you can through the whole mess out or leave it in the sun with Clorox sprayed on it for a few days and it will be OK....geofkaye and the Rivercity Group..
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #5

http://www.foambymail.com/BasicTwinMedium.html this is where I got mine. They custom sized it for me too. I have been very satisfied.

Doc Weaver
Old 02-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #6

We looked into foam mattresses, but we plan to use or conversion primarily in summertime, and foam mattresses hold heat where a coil spring will not.

Ours is a "Full" as we needed the small difference down the sides from a queen. it is only 4" thick. they can adjust the firmness/softness of it by the choice of coils that they use. the coils are 'bout an 1-1/2 in diameter and in a material sleeve then the sleeves are all sewn together to form the support, and then installed into a standard type padded mattress cover.

Really if you are going to spend a lot of time on it, do it right, nothing beats getting out of bed fresh and ready to take on the day. Besides, I have a hard enough time sleeping while out on the road, new noises every night, RV parks are usually close to a hiway, screaming kids in the campground, loud party's, new light night arrivals or early departures. etc. I figure why have the mattress contribute to the problem.
-blizz
Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #7

Cool... thanks for all the info. Cant wait to get headed out on my first road trip with her on thursday. Headed to the snowy north ( Bismark ) but in a few weeks will be headed to the Huston area. Gettin her broke in well in the next few weeks.
Severed TIES toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #8

The problem we had with coils is that they tend to bounce if you're sleeping while on the road. If you only sleep while parked, that shouldn't be a concern.

Doc Weaver
Old 09-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #9

I found the same problem that Doc is mentioning with bouncing while driving. My wife and I usually trade off and my old spring mattress just wasn't cutting it when I was trying to get some shut eye. Someone recommended MattressInsider.com which has a few foam truck mattresses to choose from. The down side is you can't try them before you buy. I couldn't find anyone locally who carried them so I just ended up ordering their truck mattress with memory foam and I've been pretty satisfied.

dfowler is offline   Reply With Quote