Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

Default Heavy Fire Rescue Vehicle Conversion

I purchased a 1999 Heavy Fire Rescue Vehicle to re-sell. It's in almost new condition with only 16K miles. 20K PTO generator, 8.3 Cummins and much more. I'm thinking if I don't sell it I might convert it into a motorhome, what do you think? Has anyone done one similar?
Attached Thumbnails
0e16fca6-0de4-4abf-8e3e-30ab3b7cc97d.jpg  

Fire Rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:19 AM   #2

That would make a very interesting motorhome.......the things are built like tanks. The only thing one would have to be mindful of is total weight, alot of vehicles own by the city, like fire trucks, transit bused etc are actually over-weight for the roads but get exzeptions because its a city vehicle and as personal vehicle not so much.

6cuda6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cuda6 View Post
That would make a very interesting motorhome.......the things are built like tanks. The only thing one would have to be mindful of is total weight, alot of vehicles own by the city, like fire trucks, transit bused etc are actually over-weight for the roads but get exzeptions because its a city vehicle and as personal vehicle not so much.
The truck is heavy 39k pounds but many class A rigs are similar. They are built much better than many class A rigs. The MPG will be the deciding factor.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #4

My my, this is an amazing machine. Judging by exterior it is almost ready to go
invizko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by invizko View Post
My my, this is an amazing machine. Judging by exterior it is almost ready to go
There is a bit of work required for it to be ready to be built out. Mainly, cutting the back of the cab to access the box. That would require a custom made flange and rubber seal to be installed at the joint between the cab and the box. The flange has to be designed in a way that would still allow the cab to be raised to service the engine. Also the storage boxes would have to be cut and reduced to make more room in the box. It's not difficult but time consuming.
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Truck.jpg   3dd3d634-46d9-4198-b5ad-aed59a947977.jpg   df0f87b2-595d-481b-889a-8e1f2e966826.jpg   74167b7d-2fbb-4f26-8884-393800c793e1.jpg  
Old 04-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #6

Wow!

Love it!

The junction between the tilt cab and the box hasn't to be huge, just a hole to allow passage from one to another.

If the box is too short, it even could be lenghtened.

Really a nice project!
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #7

Thanks,

The box is 7'-6" by 18' interior dimensions. If I go forward with the project it will look something like this. The entrance will be via the cab door. The cab ceiling height is 6'-2" . The bed will be two individual beds that fold up on to the side walls to allow access to the rear door if needed or can be used as a couch with one down and one up.
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg  
Old 04-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #8

VERY cool -- I hope you do this! I have been looking at fire trucks as well because I really would like a cabover type vehicle as I think they make the most sense for getting the most out over the 65 feet length limit you are allowed in overall combined vehicle + trailer length. With a conventional truck nose, you lose several feet of living/cargo space for the nose.

It isn't easy to find nice cabover type vehicles in the USA. They have tons of cool ones in Europe and Australia, including lots of 4WD units. Many of the emergency units in those places use the standard cab on them too.

The main hesitation I've had is wondering if it would be possible to cull enough weight off what surely must be a super heavy vehicle. And then not being sure what would be left or how clean it would be.

Another hesitation was not knowing how comfortable the cab is in these units compared to a fairly recent HDT or MDT.

PS... You might find this unit interesting that I recently came across on eBay. It's not an RV conversion.... just a tractor conversion. https://www.ebay.com/itm/114732514570

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	3443
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #9

I would love to build it out, but the lure of a quick cash out might be too tempting.
I'm still waiting for the title from the Gov which could take up to 60 days. After I receive the title I will put it up for sale. If it doesn't sell, and if it gets at least 8 to 9 MPG then I will build it out
cool pic.