Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #1

Hi all!!! Just logged on to this site and its AWESOME! I just picked up a F8000 moving van to haul race cars... I would like to cut a hole in the box and make a pass thru at the cab window. I have even thought about dumping the bench seat for two buckets and opening the cab all the way up to make a walk thru. The plan would be to (sooner or later) turn the area above the cab into a sleeper. The box is 32' long with plenty of room for the car and tools, door on the left and right side for access, and its also a high cube so its plenty tall. Is there any pros or cons to this?

Thanks for your input
Thom

AKThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:44 AM   #2

:

Hi AKthom, & Welcome To The Forum,

That would make a nice set-up,The Pros & Cons???? A Lot Of Work With The Truck Body Still Attached.But there are a few tricks to it,Unbolt the body jack it up off the frame and roll it back on a couple three steel pipes that are wider then the frame rails.Take the seat and glass out and cut the cab from the outside in.Do what ever reinforcing and filling to the cut cab section.Then transpose the pattern to the body and do the same thing,You will have to put a Sleeper Boot or
Seal between the Cab & Body.Roll the body back up adainest the cab & nail it down.If thats to much work,get in the cab
and smash the back window out then cut a hole in the body go buy a couple bicycle tire tubes put them between the cab and body and fill em with air. That way you can crawl through the hole,It's quicker & cheaper but looks like crap.Good Luck,
with the project and send some photos in of no matter how you did it.That way it can be admired or laughed at.I'm sure
there are plenty off ways to do it,Thats just my opinon and we all know about them.

marc

Old 06-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the replay Marc. Not to sure if I want to got the box removal just yet. I know it will be a lot of work but I'm ready for that. I just haven't been able to find any supply house for a cab seal. any ideas or links that you could share? I'm going over to a boat shop in a few days to see if they can help with some kind of vinyl, I don't think the weather will affect it to much with the cab being covered by the box. One thing that is real nice is the box hangs over quite a bit so I have a built in sun visor. I'll take a few pics and post them to see what ya think.

Thom
AKThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #4

On my Mack I used a tire tube from a log skidder to make the seal from the cab to sleeper.
Jeff
mechmagcn is offline   Reply With Quote