Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Volvo 780 stretch project (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/volvo-780-stretch-project-6310/)

volvo horse 10-29-2012 06:51 PM

Volvo 780 stretch project

I am researching ganging 2 780 sleepers together for a 4 door double sleeper single axle with full cab air ride. The interior will be renovated to full service coach. i am interested in comments or suggestions/ experience.

Bob86ZZ4 10-29-2012 08:47 PM

Sounds interesting. But much more expensive and work than buying a toter home on racingjunk.com.

volvo horse 10-30-2012 11:46 AM

Volovo stretch

Good point but I already have the truck and have access to a used cab sleeper for around 3500.00.
I have a fab shop with full metal work and interior finish at my disposal. I was hoping someone had tried this before I do. Thanks again for your reply

Bob86ZZ4 10-30-2012 08:03 PM

Aha, okay then. I think you're on uncharted ground here. But anything can be done. I'm going to guess you're not going to want the whole thing on air. It's going to flex around like crazy, won't it? Most of the truck conversions have the cab bolted down solid. There are lots of very creative minds around here that will be chiming in soon.

blizzardND 10-30-2012 10:57 PM

just thinking, maybe build a steel rect frame to support the cab and your sleeper assy, then support it with a pair of car leaf springs in the back with a firestone airbags for the lift, add a pair of small car shocks and the whole thing should ride nice, independent of the twisting main frame... just a quick thought..
-blizz

volvo horse 10-31-2012 10:48 AM

volvo stretch

Great idea. I hadn't thought of that. I could even use a panhard bar to control the lateral movement like a 4 link rear end. Any thoughts on how to structutrally gang the volvo boxes and blend the exterior panels

blizzardND 10-31-2012 09:25 PM

there was a guy that did just that a while back, no sure if it was here or escappees.. he posted a pile of pics. going to have to search for it.

I suppose you could go all out, remove all the rivits and replace the short walls with longer structures the go from the front of the front box to the back of the back box, then re skin and re-rivet. bunch of work but the "right" way to do it.

-blizz

bushpilot 10-31-2012 11:33 PM

why not just build a nice (head room) 100+ inch sleeper ?

volvo horse 11-01-2012 01:02 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I would be very interested in some pics of another project. And to bushpilot, I simply wanted a product that looked contiguous and not an afterthought. My anal nature causes more work and frustration for me than my wife....who if you are reading this Ive been drinking and cannot be held responsible for my words.....lol