Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-24-2003, 04:28 AM   #1

Hi Guys & Gals,

A few months ago I sold my unconverted MCI-8 bus and bought a 1994 Freightliner FLD 120 to make my motorhome conversion from.

I was lucky that it has a 265" wheelbase and a single rear axle. I didn't want the twin screw set-up as I personally don't like them with a 24ft body. The look too short for the amount of wheels. Has a Series 60 and unfortunately a Rockwell 9 speed. I am looking at changing that to a Allison 5 speed at a later date.

Also, I have to keep to the 24ft body as in Arizona where I live, there is an overall length limit of 65ft and I tow an enclosed car hauler which measures all but 30ft leaving me to use a 35ft unit to pull it with.

Yes, I know I can get an overlength permit but it's such a pain to stop at each State Line to do the paperwork.

Anyway, I found the exact truck I wanted complete with the 24ft Grumman body already on it. We are going to lower the roof to allow more height for the roof a/c, etc. and so I can get it into my workshop.

What I am needing is some advice on how the best way is to construct the underfloor, side lockers to house the water tanks and genset, etc. Is it best to use angle with plywood inserts? Or to use box tube and sheetmetal or what? Any help will be very welcome.

Of course, if you know of a good body shop to build the storage and a good tranny shop to do the auto conversion, do let me know, my back would be very grateful. Thanks.

Peter.

madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:40 AM   #2

I know I guy that will do the works for you in Middlebury, IN. When it's done your rig will be NADA listed and have a much higher resale than a homebrew. His name is Lonnie...574-825-6764.

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:25 AM   #3

Patrick,

Thanks for the name and number. I have just realized that I did not put my location in my email.

I am in Kingman Arizona.

I would like to find someone a little closer, but if not, then it would be a nice drive over to IN.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote