Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #1

Hello All,
I'm new here and have browsed the site and found a lot of good info.
Is there a "How to book" any where with detailed info on converting a class 8 truck into a troter or motorhome?
I have a yr2000 KW T2000 with a 240" wheelbase. I rebuilt the 460hp Cummins and straight 10 less then 250 miles ago.I never go over 62mph for fuel mileage, so I know she's got alot of miles left in her.
I'm not sure if I want to go the expense of strething the frame....unless I do it myself.....which I would need expert advise in doing it right. I know I can get some of that from truck shops, but if there is someone here that has done it, or it's in how to text, that can give me direction, that would be nice too.
I also am not sure if I want to, or need to drop the front axel and just go with the rear.
I need info on EVERYthing....
How to build the box frame and then the skin, etc....
How to books with pics are always a plus.
Also, any idea what the resale value of a homebuilt is....assuming its done well....
I know that somewhere on here are probably the answers to all my questions....point me in the right direction....

Thanks

Jim Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #2

....Frame stretching at John's Spring Service here in Cincinnati Ohio.....about $700 in labor + materials.....drilling holes is the expensive part of any stretch...."cut and add a rail" is the way to go to save the $$$....John's does it all the time....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #3

Hi Jim, We have a 01 T2000 and are well into the process. We are in St Louis area and will gladly share our experiences with you about our build. Send an IM anytime

Rad
Old 03-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #4

Thank you geofkay and Radman.
I've made of note of the Cinncinnati shop. $700 is a great price. The hole drilling part makes sense. Wonder how many bits you have to go through.
Radman, are you using a prefab box or building from scratch. I've seen a couple T-2's that have been streched still as working class 8's. One had a box the other scratch built. Both looked good.
If you ever have pics you can post, I'm sure everyone would like to see.
Thanks again to both.
Jim Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #5

We are stretched 7 ft and adding a custom scratch built box. Total length will be about 41 when we are done.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #6

Jim,
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of mpg are you getting with your truck?
256-778-8888
Racefab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #7

Ahhhhhhhhh - none as a motor home so far.

We are still "in process" and we havent driven the truck since we stretched the frame and began building the box.

When we were rebuilding the motor and replacing the kingpins we were getting about 9.9 by the computer. Now this was all local back roads as we moved it around. I dont have any good data on Hwy mpg for my truck/motor/tranny combo. It is however a pretty popular configuration T2/N14/sutoshift 10spd and I am hoping to stay around the mid 9s at 32k lbs but not sure.

Jim