Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   U-Haul into RV (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/u-haul-into-rv-4322/)

Arch Angel 06-12-2009 02:30 AM

This is my first conversion. I found an old 26' U-Haul (International-diesel), that I want to convert into a RV/Mobil Home.

Below is a basic floor plan idea I had. My goal is to have it set up as primary living quarters, yet maintain the ability to pack up and go "camping" with. Along with my plans I intend to use the roof as a platform for a second floor (even if it can only be used in the warmer months. The major problem is that I want to make sure my pull-outs remain stable and are easily operated. I plan on doing this project in steps to maintain livability as much as possible.

1st step will include setting up the main box as usable living quarters. Because I will have this parked near access to restroom facilities, I should be able to avoid adding my plumbing just yet. However, I will still need to work out a 110v supplied electrical system (even if temporary).

2nd step construct primary wing. I plan to construct each pull out separately and only at the final moment cut into my existing box. Because eventually both wings must be attached and they overlap, I expect I must build both tracks at once. The primary wing will include the plumbing areas such as kitchen and bath. In the plans I have added a door to this wing so that I have a more conventional, comfortable, and welcoming entrance. I want to maintain the roll up "Garage Door". I've considered to paths of constructing from this point. One is to go ahead and install the pull out as soon as it's built. The other is to close off the open side of the pull out from the elements and use it while it still detached from the box.

3rd step is to construct the secondary wing. This area is primarily to give my daughter a more private of her own and allow both of us greater space and comfort. As you can see from the plans I am indecisive about a couple bed ideas. One is a fold up bunk bed which the top (or bottom) bunk could be dual purpose as either her storage or a bed for guest. The other is however a lot easier to build and requires less space when folded up. Having the second wing complicates the construction of the design because when the wings are brought in the must overlap. Should I use Gas ranges and ovens or just rely on electric?

4th step construct 2nd floor. This is a very open area. I've thought of fold up walls, tent like structures, and even things that resemble "pop-up" campers. The biggest concern I have here is how well the roof can maintain the weight and if the height of the structure would be to large for travel while stored down. I would like some input on this based on legal requirement, and ease of access. In the end even if I just have a vent/trap door to the roof and I sit up there, I'd be happy enough. I've also thought of having the potable water tank located there.

Well, you've waited long enough here is the first idea.

https://us.mc592.mail.yahoo.com/y5/s/...rch=1&fsize=44

What do you think. Feel free to send me some other ideas or floor-plans on the matter.

Thank You,
A-A

geofkaye 06-12-2009 05:31 AM

....do you have the tools and experience of working with welding and sheet metal?...working with aluminum is tricky at times! Roof wasn't built for holding any weight at all....one first needs to strengthen the supports for 2nd floor before one builds the first floor.....The Morgan box was one of the cheapest boxes made when it was first used for rental vehicles...and the truck was built for city driving not expressway travel-I'd trade it for a MDT from Penske that was geared for highway traveling-and a stick shift as transmission work will NOTcost a fortune when it goes out.....geofkaye-who else?

philadelphia 06-12-2009 06:03 AM

Here is a link from a forum i frequent..Its definitely doable but im wondering how tall you would be in the end.One of the benefits of a uhual is the are lower..Im thinking of building a stepvan right now thats got a height of 10ft..If you go higher towards the 13ish ft range then you will have to take a trucking route everywhere you go..That can jam you up sometimes.Just keep going further back in that section of pirate and you will see a few builds from uhauls..Just have thick skin if you post.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum...wthread.php?t=691445

Im thinking of building a pop up tent to have a loft in my conversion.I have seen some rooftop 4x4 tents but they are costly and not totally what i need.Im gonna start looking at the pop up sections of the newer truck camper pop ups as well as a regular pop up..When its down i want only to 18" of extra roof height.Wosrt comes to worse i will build it and have the canvas built for the sides at a boat shop.I just need some extra bed space for the kids when we are at off road parks.

I wouldnt put a water tank up that high..You can always get some 16 gallon drums from craigslist opr someplace and mount them below the body..use an on demand pump for supply.

philadelphia 06-12-2009 02:29 PM

Here is another from the same board.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum...wthread.php?t=777351

Doc Weaver 06-12-2009 07:26 PM

Arch Angel,
If you found a good U-haul, either your a great shopper, or lucky, or maybe both. when I was looking for a straight truck, all the local U-hauls were well worn out, but I digress. Depending on where you are using it, the U-hauls ride very low. This CAN be a good thing, but I take mine to too many construction sites. I need the clearance. I'm rambling again.
My advice would be to take your time designing your floor plan. plan for all your different situations, and then make your compromises. I compromised a little space for a private bunk and I'm glad I did.

Doc Weaver

Arch Angel 06-14-2009 08:09 PM

Thanks for the direction. It's funny how many neigh-sayers come out of the woodwork when I mention this project. I will admit my welding skills are barely attuned. I realize this project will give me plenty of work in that department. Thanks for the referals to the 4X4 site. It gave me a great idea on how to hide my heavy duty tracks and a power slide out. Just so nobody gets worried over me, the slide out will have a manual override.

Please keep the ideas rolling. And if you have additional floor plan ideas, please feel free to share them.

geofkaye 06-14-2009 09:12 PM

....YOU GUYS THAT TRY TI RE-INVENT THE WHEEL ARE KILLING YOURSELVES.....stick with a tried and true design and just tweak it for your own taste. I have seem many a "in head designs" that when put to use-was/were unusable or just unsafe and dam impracticable. A lot of conversions are leakers and I just caught one today that has to have a totally new interior because of cooking too many pork chops over the last year and smoking toooooo many cigarettes. I had to tell the guy that even I wouldn't get involved with a cleaning....it is a total rip out and needs to be taken out the the exterior siding and replace al insulation/wood/cloth/leather/wall panels and flooring.....a total stripper!....I have seen some bad Katrina Trailers and a few others...but this one takes the prize. I even felt sorry for the son to have to have a estate worth less than $10k left from a $150,000 investment from his parents. But people continue to cook inside their MH or TT and it accumulates to a real stinkin' mess..... c-ya geofkaye and the Rivercity Group.......

Doc Weaver 06-15-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by geofkaye:
I just caught one today that has to have a totally new interior because of cooking too many pork chops over the last year c-ya geofkaye and the Rivercity Group.......
GK,
Have you ever contemplated the installation of a cooking hood like they do at restaurants and pharmaceutical R & D?

Doc Weaver

geofkaye 06-15-2009 09:00 AM

...DOC:...THE PROBLEM IS ONE OF AIR FLOW THROUGH THE INTERIOR AND EXHAUST OUT OVER THE STOVE.... with such a small interior space and the air flow needed to maintain the proper exhaust velocity[specially the cooking of any meats]- it is necessary to have a 800-1000 cfm exhaust with a intake the same size which cools off the interior/heats up the interior too fast.....I still insist on outside cooking/microwave foods/very small toaster oven/liquid foods/MRE's and of course there is restaurants to keep travelers from dying of starvation....Otherwise, there is the food odor and the grease problem to deal with....a restaurant hood would work but the intake would leave the interior with a temp issue again....separate cooking room is one solution but that is problematic as well [space].....cooking and pooping, showers are problems that need very good design/materials and ventilation to be useful as well as sanitary....which is a problem in any confined space.....geofkaye Rivercity Group.....

Doc Weaver 06-15-2009 07:51 PM

I'm glad I only installed a microwave. this is getting way too complicated. https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

geofkaye 06-15-2009 08:04 PM

...it is all about balance-nothing more. The same issue happens in a lot of hot shot trucks as the drivers don't consider ventilation and they end smelling like curry the rest of their lives...and so does the truck....till someone burns it up and takes an insurance check. geofkaye and the Rivercity Group......

Arch Angel 06-16-2009 10:22 PM

Wow, I'm glad I mostly use my convection/Microwave anyway, and I don't eat pig (just a cheep shot joke, I do get the point).

I like cooking on the grill most. Still, I will need to have cooking accommodations of some sort for the winter months. The good thing is that for the first year I will have access to my parents kitchen. Because, I can cook anything that a oven cooks in my micro, I'll save that area for cookware storage. I'll have an electric grill for now (I promise to use it outside), but I really want a charcoal grill for better flavor. For my traditional pot cooking it is between my crack pot, and purchasing a range top. I was thinking about making the (electric) range top either flip up or fold under the cabinet (like old sewing machines). By doing either of those, I hope to be able to utilize more counter space. Basically my kitchen will comprise of my Convection/Micro, range-top, double sink , refer, and vent.

BTW-Still looking for better floor plans.

Bob86ZZ4 06-17-2009 07:38 AM

My stove is a two burner gas unit. It's mounted below the counter top surface. I think they call it a "drop down" type or something. It's made for r.v. installations. It has a piece of countertop that fits in to fully cover the cook unit and create countertop. It works great. My rig doesn't have a vent hood but there is a Fantastic fan vent directly in the roof above it. I put one of those rain covers on that so it can be used when going down the road or in the rain. I also have a convection/micro mounted above the stove. The nice thing about using the roof fan for exhaust is that it will also draw out the heat emitted by the convection oven. Convection ovens emit tons more heat than a standard microwave. A hood mounted below the oven wouldn't work as well to draw that heat out. A side benefit of the drop down stove covered with the piece of countertop is that it makes it quieter. The stove/oven in my old unit was very loud and rattly goind down the road.

philadelphia 08-20-2009 08:34 PM

why not fab a hood and install a spal 12" fan..1200 cfm no problem..

Bob86ZZ4 08-21-2009 05:55 AM

There wouldn't be any way to fab a hood above the convection/microwave oven. It's built into a cabinet that goes right up to the ceiling. Why cut another hole in my exterior when there is a perfectly good fantastic fan right there?

geofkaye 09-05-2009 06:59 PM

....IN MY TRAILER THAT WOULD AMOUNT TO A COMPLETE AIR CHANGE EVERY 1.7 MINUITES....HEAT AND A/C WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE......geofkaye

Gary Atsma 09-06-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by philadelphia:
why not fab a hood and install a spal 12" fan..1200 cfm no problem..
Geez, a fan like that WOULD be your total ventilation system; just be sure to open most of your windows so the walls don't get sucked in..... (amazing what a vivid imagination does to mental pictures.....)