Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Default New to group

Hi all, I am new to the group and wish I would have found this a long time ago. I have posted a couple of pics of my rig. It is a 1993 Freightliner FLD 120, I have had this truck for some time and I love it, I no longer have the trailer that is in the pictures so now I need more living area in he truck. I have a large 4x4 that I haul on an open goose neck to offroad events. I have been thinking of about 10' of streatch but I can't cover the rear wheels as I still have to pull my truck. I have thought of just selling and getting something else but I really like my truck. Just wanted to introduce myself and get some ideas.

1963 corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #2

So I was looking around the internet this morning and went to Haulmark's web site, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can just buy one of the boxes like the 143 or 172 that they show floor plans for. I am was going to build my own but if I can buy just the box and add my own interior that my be a better way to go????

Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

Hawk Engineering (hawkengineering.com) advertises that they will build from shell to finished unit. From everything I have seen he does some really nice work including building his own cabinets. I think being a smaller manufacturer he may be more willing to meet the needs of someone who wants to finish his own rig. I have heard nothing but good things about Hawk form people on this forum. I am planning a to make a trip down to visit his facility sometime this spring. I really want to build my own from scratch as I can not find anything close to what I want from existing coaches. However I am thinking It may well make more sense to have someone with experience and a facility build a weather tight box that is finished on the outside, then I can park it alongside my workshop and complete the interior. That way I may actually be able to finish it up while I am still young enough to drive it...lol.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

That is an interesting question. I think when the question gets answered, we find out if the box is built on the chassis of the truck, or if the box is built separately and then put on the truck.

You might want to try Marion Truck body in Marion, Wisconsin; west of Green Bay and north of Appleton.

Marion Body Works

Talk to them about building you a box, take your truck there, bolt their body to your chassis, take it home, and finish out the inside.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

hawkengineering did EXACTLY what the OP wants - left the interior for the owner to finish - here -> 4309MHNONTA1Sbe AND here --> http://hawkengineering.com/4410MHDAYTA3Sjw.htm
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #6

Like I said in the first post, I wish I had found this a long time ago. Thanks guys for the info. Now after looking at some of the rigs on here though my first plans of a 10' streatch may be growing, LOL. Thanks again.