Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #1

My Rig - Just purchased (How do you post an image on this site??)

What are the sources being used for the lift gates on garage toters like those being used on high end car transport trailers. I cant seem to find any mfg source on the net and one guy quoted me over $30K to mfg & install one. Is this realistic???

Int 4400
Engine - International DT466 HT 250
Transmission - 6SP ALLISON MD3060P OD

Suspension
Air Ride
Sleeper Size
84" Hi-Style Sleeper

Rear End Ratio
3:36
Wheelbase
292"

Axles
Single
Frame
Steel

GVWR
32,000 lbs
Interior
Deluxe

FA Capacity
12,000 lbs
Color
WHITE

RA Capacity
23,000 lbs

Front Wheels
Steel

Rear Wheels
Steel

Brakes
AIR

Tire Size

Sleeper, with bunk beds, sink, microwave, refrigerator and lots of storage space, 22'x102"x102" aluminum body with swing doors, translucent roof,e-track, AL side storage boxes, truck is a honest 8 out of a 10

Bolsado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

Sounds very cool. I'll bet those lift gates are expensive. I have no idea where you'd find one. Have you checked with some of the coach builders and see if they'll tell you their sources? Do you have to have a lift gate? I suppose it would be too high to just have a large ramp door?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

I'm glad mine came with the lift gate. They are very expensive. I looked into it when I was still looking for a truck and they start at $1500 for the small gates and go way out quickly for the large ramp/lifts. http://www.kaffenbarger.com/ this is the people I got information from.
Good Luck, and keep us informed
Doc Weaver
Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #4

....need to know size and weight/load to give you any suggestions....geofkaye and the Rivercity girlz
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #5

What I am considering is a lift gate system capable of getting a car to the box bed. There are a number of kinds of standard (rail, cantilever, tuckaway etc... liftgates with the most common in the 1500-6500 lb range such as Maxxon types.

My truck has cargo swing doors as opposed to a roll up which makes rail type difficult unless I replace the box which seems like no big deal plenty of boxes out there 20-26 ft long. I picked my truck based on the milage mostly and the sleeper cab and air suspension and my box preference got nixed when this one came availble.

The kind of lift I would like to find is a rail type in the 4000-8000 lb capacity with the long platform used on the high end car transporters or "NASCAR style" that lifts to upper deck on those type trailers. I dont see any of the web manufacturers making them with the extended platforms long enough for car. I do see the up to 96 in. which is getting pretty close though.

Ultron even has a 96 in 6500 lb cantilever.

Racingjunk.com has an example
http://www.racingjunk.com/cate...UMINUM-LIFTGATE.html

here is an expmple with lift in mid position
http://www.racingjunk.com/cate...tacker-liftgate.html
Bolsado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #6

Those are very cool lifts. I've seen them at the track. How much is that trailer in your second link? I can't seem to find it on the racingjunk ad. That's a darn nice trailer!
Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #7

Let me preface this with I have no personal experience with this type of lift:

It would seem to me that placement of the rear wheels and structure of the rear of the truck would be paramount to the ramp/lift. Wouldn't a lift this powerful, be highly stressful on the structure of the truck? Is there manufacture recommendations?

Doc Weaver
Old 12-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #8

Try contacting Wildside trailers they built I fiends trailer with the type of lift gate you want

Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote