Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Building Your Own
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-10-2003, 10:32 AM   #1

Any discussion of super singles on RV Tractors?....Shell Gasoline is surely not going to let me drive one of their tankers to see if I like super singles instead of Duals....but I thought some of you have experienced those tires and care to comment.....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 02:35 AM   #2

geof,
I had an opportunity to run a set for a week, while my truck was in the shop. The boss had just taken delivery on a new truck that had them.
They do reduce the curb weight of the truck by a slight margin. They also give a slightly more comfortable ride.
However, that comfort goes out the window when you consider the possibility of a blow out.
When running duals on a tandem setup and a tire blows, the axle stays level and you have enough control to continue, preferably at a reduced speed, to a safe place to pull off the road.
With super singles in a tandem setup, if a tire blows, the rim hits the ground, costing you control and forcing you to stop now. Regardless of whether it's safe.
Now, remove one of your drive axles. A blow out on a single drive tractor, pulling a trailer of any consequence, will dramatically increase the chance of loss of control which could lead to a jack-knife or worse.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:09 AM   #3

Excellent points you have brought up James....I hadn't considered the blow out issue as I haven't ever blown out a tire on a truck....[not that I need to experience that senario].... think I will stay with duals and reconsider front drive axel elimination......geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote