Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Spare Tire? (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/spare-tire-4846/)

Ox 03-31-2003 08:41 AM

Generic question: How do you plan on fixing a flat tire on your truck?

It's going to happen at some time in the life of the ride. Preventive maintenance will catch a large portion of issues, however there will be a pointy object out there just waiting to pop the tire when you are rolling 50 miles from anywhere (like SR-62 from Parker to 29 Palms in California).

Some suggestions have been to carry a spare tire (where do you carry yours?) or to rely on a service to repair it on the road.

Simple poll, curious on how others plan to solve the issue.

onezman 03-31-2003 10:01 AM

Hi Chris,

I have never carried a spare. Walmart carries different kinds of repair kits for fixing a flat yourself. With your air fitting and air hose, you're on your way.

If a wheel ever has to be removed, road service must be called. It takes a tire air gun to remove lug nuts.

If you carry the proper tire tools, either steer tire, and either outside dual can be changed without having to removing the lug nuts or the wheel itself from the truck.

For steer tires, you need a hydraulic jack, the proper tire bars and a heavy hammer to break the beads loose if necessary. Then you soap up the beads, and remove the tire from the wheel while the wheel is still on the truck using the tire bars.

You can install your unmounted spare using the tire tools and lots of soapy water, air her up and you are on your way. I am not saying this is easy, but it can be done, I have seen it done. A guy built like you could do it easy.

Same proceedure as above for either outside dual. You don't need the jack though, you can drive the inside dual up on, say a couple of two by eights.

If you blow an inside dual, you can drive her in to a tire shop on the outside dual, if the inside tire is not coming apart and doing damage.

If you decide to carry an unmounted spare, you figure a way to attach it either to the back of the sleeper or the top of the frame. Use a lock too.

onezman

onezman 03-31-2003 10:06 AM

Hi Chris,

I have never carried a spare. Walmart carries different kinds of repair kits for fixing a flat yourself. With your air fitting and air hose, you're on your way.

If a wheel ever has to be removed, road service must be called. It takes a tire air gun to remove lug nuts.

If you carry the proper tire tools, either steer tire, and either outside dual can be changed without having to removing the lug

Jack Mayer 03-31-2003 03:55 PM

Hi Chris,

Larry is right, you CAN change the tire on the truck if you have experience and a reasonable amount of "brawn" (plus, you really do need the righ tire irons). I have assisted in this process, and believe me, it is not easy. On the other hand, I saw a guy in a truck tire place do it on a logging truck like it was nothing. I swear, it did not take him 5 min to get one tire off, and the other on. Even the driver was amazed. Personally, if I could not temporarily plug it I would call road service.

Jack Mayer
F550 Centurion Conversion
36' Newmar Kountry Star

onezman 03-31-2003 05:40 PM

sorry for the partial double post. Don't know how that happened. Can't delete it now either.

onezman