Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Building Your Own
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #241

Looks great everyone!

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java230 View Post

Great idea on the lighting and they don't shine shine in your eyes.

What brand, where did you get the marker lights.

jtlikes2build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #243

Exactly! And they are pretty low light.

10 for 10 on Amazon less each if you buy a giant pack.

10 Pcs TMH 3/4" Inch Mount White LED Clearance Markers Bullet Marker lights, side marker lights, led marker lights, led side marker lights, led trailer marker lights, trailer marker light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019MH34PO..._CgIkAbP8SNAY3

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #244

Had a little free time and it wasn't raining, so I got some insulation done. I picked up a roll of EZ Cool, basically just 3/8" foil faced foam. Wont do much for sound deadening, but should help a little with heat. The carpet in the cab gets wet from condensation when the dog sleeps up there in the cold, so I wanted to get something under the carpet.

Not much form the factory.

Cut a chunk, lay it in, start bending, taping, cutting cursing. Cut it bigger than you think you need, it looses a lot of size when bending it around the contours. Don't forget the holes needed for bolts etc. I only pulled the back seat, front would be nice too, but I didn't have time to pull all the interior and trims out.

Floor in place.

Going up the wall. This was fun.... All the slots for the trim piece clips need to be cut. It really didn't want to go back on.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #245

Then up the back wall. This was glued with super90, the rest has just been taped in place/held with the trims for the most part.

Also wrapped around the cab to box gasket. Not much insulation, but it should also trap some air there that will help a little. Seat ans trims back in now. Not sure what to do for wall covering, maybe carpet, maybe wood panel?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #246

my cushions came in! cushionsource.com

Old 12-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #247

One more little project down. I had a cab marker light out, I tend to find when one goes, they others are not are behind, so I picked up some cheap LED replacements.

New ones are pretty directional, but work fine.

Not hugely different, new one is the closest bulb.

Then went and got some more heater fuel. Not a bad spot to get it

I got Jet A, which is basically kerosene with some anti gel additives and a little more refinement/water evacuation. Much much cheaper than kerosene too, no one has bulk around me and its $8 a gallon for little jugs.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #248

Java, you are making great progress on your conversion. I have been following along for a while, and you have done some nice work. I really like the live edge dining table, great NW touch.

Wouldn't have thought about running down to the air harbor and getting jet A in place of kerosene. Used to get kerosene from Handy-Andy rentals in Ballard, they had it in bulk, but still more than Jet fuel.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonslayer140 View Post
Java, you are making great progress on your conversion. I have been following along for a while, and you have done some nice work. I really like the live edge dining table, great NW touch.

Wouldn't have thought about running down to the air harbor and getting jet A in place of kerosene. Used to get kerosene from Handy-Andy rentals in Ballard, they had it in bulk, but still more than Jet fuel.

Dave
Thanks Dave, just about cought up to current progress now. The table is from a tree they cut at the Seattle Center a couple years back during renovation.

I think sound oil in Ballard has kerosene, but Kenmore air is 5 mins from my house. Webasto says it's an approved fuel!

Fun to find more local people!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #250

The LED lights are great really really good. We missed a family of dear that I am not sure I would have seen otherwise. Driving in nuking snow was not an issue, gave a bit of a Star Wars hyperspace look going on.

It was a good day for big sticks.

Ski fun! It was amazing, 28" in 48 hours.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #251

Digging it out. Probably didnt need to, pulled right out just fine.

Now for some battery usage. We arrived Friday night ~6pm ish, this was Sunday 8 am ish. Was down a little more before we left. Lots of heat use, no charging at all.

(IIRC we were at 123AH used when we were packing up)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #252

Floors are cold, really cold. So before the last trip I bought some cheap carpet and cut it to fit the kitchen/eating area. Had to lift the fridge a bit to clear it. I spray glued foam floating floor backing to it so it doesn't scratch up the vinyl flooring. That way it can be popped out for summer. I also didn't do any in front of the door, that way wet boots don't just soak it.

Then I added a drain for the hot water heater. It has a valve it uses when it gets close to freezing to release pressure I guess. Good to know..... It dumped a lot of water out onto the floor. (you can see my ghetto vinyl tube in the carpet pic) now its a proper drain, down through the floor.

Drill big old hole.

Make up the fitting and measure the piece of pipe needed. I am using PEX, its awesome.

And wala, water goes out the bottom of the truck!
Old 01-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #253

Also got the Ham radio nearly installed. Just need to finish running power..... Picked up a cheap ft7900

For as big as the truck is, there is no where on the dash to put a damn remote face plate! I settled on this, its low, not going to be adjustable while driving, but should work ok.

Also added a second gas strut to the bed, it wouldn't stay open when we stacked all the stuff on it that end up on horizontal surfaces....
Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #254

I am having the same space issue with the dash on my Ram, just purchased a new Icom 2730, and there is just no space to mount the head unit. Current plan is to mount it above the rear view mirror so its in line of sight. My old Ford had tons of room for mounting radios, didn't even have to separate the head from the radio lol. Keep up the good work

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #255

Yeah that would have worked well, if I had not gotten a super deal on this radio... . The mic cable comes off the head, not the body like the Icom. I didn't want it flapping by the rear view all the time.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #256

2017 super duty dash isn't any better - not even a 1/2 decent place to mount a cell phone holder.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #257

I think I do well with deadlines..... My wife mentioned that the microwave would be a nice luxury to have. So Microwave it is. Inverter will run it, barely. Pulls ~85 amps, microwave makes odd noises, but it works!

So I made a little shelf for it to sit on, drilled small recesses for the feet of the microwave, hopefully that keeps it in place enough. Flipping the grey water lug sideways made enough room under the sink for it to fit.

Need to zip tie the power wire up out of the way, but it shares the 120V plug with the fridge. Should work well.

Also got the water pump switch installed. For some stupid reason I can't get the "on" position when the LED is up, but I didn't power the LED anyway.... Tucked out of the way where it wont get bumped on or off.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #258

Just got home, it's dark, I have to use the truck in two days, do I start this project? Hmmmmm

Done! 50 mins drivers side, 20 passenger. Lots of Oregon DOT grit in there still. It's not rusty

Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #259

Busy Weekend!

Went snowshoeing Saturday. Wife broke trail all day!

Started in my messy *** garage making some overhead storage.

Hanging from the ceiling

And filled up.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #260

Remote switch for the inverter, so I don't have to climb under the bed to run it on every time....