Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #1

Ok, when I say simple I do not mean I am not diesel smart. I mean, what year did International put a computer on their 4700 series trucks? I do not want a truck with a computer, I would prefer a fully mechanical engine (ease of roadside repair) . I am either going to get a 4700 or a F700/800 Ford crew cab. So now the question is best engine and manual transmission combo for a class 6 size truck. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Dodger

Old 09-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #2

Hi Dodger,
For my $.02, I suggest you look for a Cummins engine. You'll want the 5.9L, 8.3L, or the (if memory serves) big 10L. The older ones have no computer, are dead simple, and rugged as a granite boulder. You want the inline bosch P injection pump on the smaller 2 and the PT pump on the big one. All 3 can be tailered to your power needs, or wants, easily and fairly cheaply.

Hope this helps a little.

DieselJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #3

....ELECTRONIC PARTS ARE VERY DURABLE....I wouldn't worry about that end of things.....the whole world is changing........geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #4

I'm with Geofkaye here. Scary tho. I used to prefer the older allegedly less complicated stuff. But, the new engine management is the only way to go. At least that's how I fell about small block Chev's. It's just so much better than an old carburated engine. In all ways. I don't know anything about truck motors. But, I have two friends that are heavy truck mechanics. They will tell you the newer computer managed engines are much better in almost every way than an older engine. Sure, you might have to spend a few bucks for some diagnostics if you do get a code. But, it would likely be cheaper than hunting down a problem with an older engine that won't tell you what it's mad about. I would also hazard a bet that the newer the engine the better it's made. Generally speaking anyhow. I'd stop at some truck repair places when the guys (mechanics that is) are sitting outside on the wall during lunch break. Pick their brains about your concerns. They'll be the best resource I would bet. Real world experience, no substitute for that.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #5

The older non-computerized 5.9L Cummins will get better fuel economy. 98.5 started with the computer. We've had 97 to 06s and the 97 would get better fuel economy. Of course, the 06 sure runs good with a smarty computer upgrade!
HawkEng is offline   Reply With Quote