Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-19-2003, 12:53 PM   #1

My husband and I recently viewed and test drove a Renegade. We have two ??/issues which we feel can be satisified before we purchase but, wanted to get feedback from the forum members if they can confirm solutions or we off base. The vehicle was an FL112 24 feet living space and garage. Total length about 42 feet. The cab bounced at 55 to 60 mph. CAN ADDITIONAL SHOCKS OR ?? BE ADDED TO SOFTEN THE RIDE? ALSO THE DRIVER'S SEAT AND THE PASSENGER'S SEATS DID NOT GO BACK FAR ENOUGH FOR COMFORTABLE DRIVING OR RIDE. CAN THE SEATS BE MOVED BACK? We really liked everything else about the vehicle and think it is right for us but, will need these issues solved before we will purchase.
Thanks so much for this site/forum and great info.

Donna

dspainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:04 PM   #2

Donna -

Remembering back to my test drive in FL112 (Renegade Garage Coach) I do recall that I also thought the leg room was at a premium. The seats in this where cloth and seemed quite a bit bigger that the Bostrom Talladaga's I have in my Show Hauler. You may gain some space going to a more compact seat. (Just a side note: I do have 2 brand new air ride Bostrom Talladaga seats forsale. If you where to find that is a option that would work for you)

As for the ride, I put Brock's ad-a-ride air ride system to my front axle and it really has smoothed out the ride --> http://www.truck.net/brocks/

Keep us posted with details as you move forward with your conversion purchase.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:42 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. FYI on the passenger side of the FL112 was a large plastic cover for the fuse panel. Do you think that panel can be relocated. We are not that tall, I am 5'8" and I did not have a place for my legs with the seat all the way back. The seats were leather with an air ride system.

Thanks
Donna
Old 12-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #4

donna, mase sanford, i've been in a renegade before but can't remember how close the rear cab wall is to the back of the seat. if it's right there then unless you changed the seat configuration [kind of seat] then that's where you would be. if the rear cab wall is not right there then you could move the seat mounts back. my kw has multiple holes in the seat base. the other thing you can do is check on different manufacturers volvo kw and different models within each brand. hope this helps. welcome and merry christmas. mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #5

A definite no on moving the fuse panel (or the cover even). I've got an FL112 as well and experience the same issues, I'd seriously suggest you look at getting a truck that would fit you better nd then have the converter of your choice add the box.

You might also want to look into the newer FL chassis, the interiors are different looking althogh I haven't driven one so I'm not sure about interior dimensions.

Good luck!

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
WERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 02:20 AM   #6

Donna,

What exactly is bouncing? Do you mean the whole cab because it is on air-ride or do you mean that you personally are being bounced? If it is the air-ride, you should be able to have the pressure adjusted, ask the dealer if it is possible to do this, before you purchase. Normally this sort of problem is a combination of spring rates and shock absorbers and can be quite difficult to get correct. Have them check tire pressures as they may have been set too high for the load they are carrying.

I would imagine that the seat bases can be moved back as long as there is sufficient space behind for the seat to go back and still recline. Would need the mounting holes redrilled in the floor, another job for the dealer to research into to make sure the new holes do not affect other pieces of equipment, etc.

When spending such a large sum of money, you should be happy with all aspects of the vehicle, especially the driving part as some/most owners consider this as the best part.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:56 AM   #7

I would have to actually use the word "Bucking" and it was the whole cab. Are you asking about air-ride in the seat or on the truck's suspension? There was air pressure in the seats. Sitting inside the living space on the sofa I experienced no bouncing.The vehicle was empty of water etc. and had a 13 foot motorcycle garage behind the 24 feet of living space. Was the garage hanging aft the rear wheels acting like a see-saw. The seats were right against the cut out and I doubt they could be moved back enough to give me at least another foot of legroom I feel I would need. I think your suggestion of a different truck is probably the answer.
Thanks so much for your reply
Donna
Old 12-22-2003, 12:07 PM   #8

Not sure if they still do, but Renegade was keeping the cab suspension on there rigs at the time I test drove one. (Most of the other converters remove the cab air ride) During my test I due recall more bounce than in my present rig, but that was due again to the air suspension on both the chairs and cab in the Renegade. My current conversion only has air seats and the air suspension on the front axle does not move much. I am sure the wheel base was shorter on the Renegade vs. my Show Hauler which is 336" and a shorter wheel base will create a little rougher ride.

I got the opportunity to drive my truck before it was converted and it drove like a truck, I actually was worried that the ride would be way to rough for my wife's liking. When we picked it up from Show Hauler, my wife as well as myself, where blown away at how awesome the ride was.

So I am thinking there must be something that was either miss adjusted or setup improperly.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:41 PM   #9

Renegade doesn't remove the cab suspension, but they do put a travel limiter centered on top of the chassis between the two shocks. It looked like it would limit cab suspension to about an inch; I'm not sure what the travel is without it.

Jeff
mxracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:32 PM   #10

Maybe it was just the addition of the conversion which actually made the suspension work instead of all the bounce being taken by the tires due to the lack of weight.

My Freightliner rides pretty good, even now without any real weight in it. Especially if you compare it to my old 1977 Apollo which is built on a Dodge D 500 chassis.

I am not sure what I am doing with it all right now. My close friend who was my strength (I have back trouble) and was deeply involved in this project, died Friday night, so I am sitting back for a week or two and am going to consider my options. I think he would like me to finish it and I would too, but there is a lot of heavy construction, namely the storage bays, etc that has to be done. I will see if I can get someone to build them for me and thta will help me continue. Sorry to ramble, this is a hard time for us, but things will get better.

Peter.

madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote