Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 04-16-2003, 10:06 AM   #1

any more opinions/thoughts on shortening the frame/moving rear axel up or leaving the tandums in place on a class 8 tractor? RIDE-TURNING-BALANCE-BRAKING-TRACTION-? .......geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:24 PM   #2

Assuming you don't need the weight carrying capacity, why would you want to leave both axles in place. It would seem to me it would just add expense for no purpose. The only possible advantage I could see woudl be traction if you locked them, and that would be marginal. Also, 202" seems like the approximate point where you start noticing the extra wheelbase. I know the bigger MDT's I've driven are noticable compared to something less than 200". I guess it just depends on your needs.

Jack Mayer
F550 Centurion Conversion
36' Newmar Kountry Star

Jack Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:57 PM   #3

I kept both axels on my 610 because when I get ready to sell I will have access to the trucker market as well as the RV market. I am trading off any penalties (turning radius etc) for access to the truck market. May be right or wrong but I did it.
dollarsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:13 PM   #4

I'm just trying to list and consider all my options....the list gets longer as I read the forums.....as yet I haven't made any choice....After today's money meeting, I might wait till 2004 to start the any conversion/trailer process [the stock /bond/mutual markets are not helping anything]....I'm leaning towards a 32' car hauler with living quarters type trailer with Volvo or Freightliner tractor combo mainly because of insurance costs and adaptability....the axel thing is still a big consideration .....I am going to look at a mobile home toter in Indiana next week-talk about short wheel base-but it has a wet line system, on board air compressor and 120/240 vt genetrator/welder....I don't know how confortable it is-it does have air bags in the rear and they could be added up front. The hudraulic 6 way hitch/arm swings left/right, up/down and in/out can lift& swing 40,000# up to 6' feet in the air as well as push down so the truck back end is 15" off the ground...makes hooking up easy under all conditions as it is remote control from outside of the truck......geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:59 AM   #5

First off, I don't have a class 8. But I've "dreamed" about converting one.

Like dollarsok, I like the idea of retaining both rear axels for future re-sale. As I see it, the down sides are greater turn radius, rougher ride, less traction, and less room to hang storage boxes.

I don't think the turning radius would be that much of a problem due to the 50* stear angle. It probably has better turn radius than my dually.

To help with the ride (bob tail and towing) I have "dreamed" of adding a lot of weight using 1" plate to construct a rear bumper and bed. I would also add large coach storage batteries (8Ds or forklift) to the truck that would be connected to a 5th wheel with seperate forklift type connectors.

For additional storage I would add a storage type headacke rack.

Just my $.02.

How far off am I?

Gene

'96' Dodge 3500, 5-speed, 3.54 LSD, Ext. Cab, 205,000 plus miles, K&N RE-0880 air filter, Jannety heat shield, TST #10 plate slid forward 1/8", AFC spring kit, 16 cm exhaust housing, Jardine 4" exhaust w/5" stainless steel tip, South Bend Clutch, SPA digital EGT and boost gauge, relay controlled back-up alarm and rear facing halogen tractor flood lights, air horns, bed liner, Tonnou cover, Geno's manual trans. filter, brite box. Dyno run 1-27-02; 375.6 hp and 798.3 ft. lb. torque at the rear wheels.
GSchlegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:01 AM   #6

Hi Dollarsok,

Were you able to register your 610 as a motorhome with the tandems? If so what State did you register in, or is it registered some other way?

Thanks in advance,
onezman

http://onezman.tripod.com/onezmans.conversions
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:06 AM   #7

Hi Larry:

It is registered as a motorhome in Iowa.

By the way I sure want to thank you for all the help and advice even tho you have gotten no payment for your efforts. Jack
dollarsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 02:51 PM   #8

Hi Jack,

Glad to help if I can. I didn't realize from our e-mail contact that your posting handle is Dollarsok.

Later,
onezman

http://onezman.tripod.com/onezmans.conversions
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:34 PM   #9

What added expense?

I was just wondering what Jack Mayer meant by the added expense of leaving both axles. It seems like it would be the other way around. It costs to remove the 2nd axle but it's worth it if you really need the added maneuverability or, depending on whether you remove the front or rear axle, either added room for storage boxes or a shorter truck. Since I will be on a limited budget and thus can only make mods or additions that are absolutely necessary for registration as a motorhome or for my personal preferances, I will probably choose a truck with a short enough wheelbase to give reasonable maneuverability and leave it a tandem (I will have to live with the reduced storage potential). When I was an OTR driver I did find that a locked tandem gave noticeably better traction and slid around less than a single on the snowy winter roads of the upper midwest. The effect was less dramatic when bobtailing but still noticeable.
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 06:57 AM   #10

Added expense at a minimum would be the replacement cost of the extra 4 tires. I would think your fuel milage would suffer a bit as well.

Dano959 is offline   Reply With Quote