Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   self levelling sealer?? (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/self-levelling-sealer-6014/)

hot rod 03-22-2011 07:08 PM

self levelling sealer??

While I'm stalling on the TC project, I'm doing some maintenance on my gooseneck vending trailer. Last year I added a bunch of stuff to the roof, like fold up signs, and a hatch and a tv antenna, plus some of the original sealer around the edge needs scraped up and replaced.

In the past I've used Seal Gap like they use on semi trailers around the edge where the metal roof meets the aluminum trim, but to be honest it's a pain in the a$$, basically having to apply with a putty knife, and if you're not real meticulous you can leave gaps. 40' trailer adds up to about 100' of perimeter and I'm not looking forward to it, plus all the other brackets and things I need to seal.

I've seen some sealer on the roof of other trailers which I think is called self levelling sealer. Looks clear like rtv silicone sealer, but does not look like it is applied from a caulking gun like rtv. Looks more like it is poured on as a thick liquid and flattens itself out to look like a really thick puddle like the name would imply. Seems a little harder than silicone, but still a little flexible, but what I saw may have been an older application.

Have any of you used this product? Helpful hints? Where to buy it? Better ideas?

Thanks in advance!

mmmc101 03-23-2011 09:39 AM

Hotrod,
I have used two products in the past to reseal race car trailers with alum roofs.
C-10 Flow Seal, made by Dyco Paints, Clearwater Florida, $14.00 per tube.
Dicor lap sealant, purchased at Camping World, $7.50 per tube.
Both worked well and were easy to apply. I used an all purpose cleaner to clean the area to be sealed (409) and put it down. Just follow the directions on the tube. Not the cheapest way but sure is easy. MMM

hot rod 03-23-2011 05:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. Definitely looking for easy, as opposed to cheap. Last time I did a 44' car trailer with Seal Gap it was an all day job.

Ran D. St. Clair 03-30-2011 02:34 PM

I used the Dicor self leveling lap sealer on my truck. It worked fine and I have no complaints but it doesn't really sound like what you are talking about. It is fairly thick, similar to heavy mayonaise (in a cool location) so it doesn't flow out like a big puddle. It is also grey, or white, or black, but I don't think it comes in clear. I suspect that the color is an important part of the UV resistance. It comes in a tube for use in a caulking gun, at least that is how I used it. You might be able to find it by the gallon, I don't know.

As I recall the Dicor is meant for use on rubber roofs, but also works ok on aluminum (which is how I used it). Supposedly there are better choices on aluminum though I can't speak to that from personal experience. I am not sure it would save you any labor over what you have used before though.

If you read back through this forum you will find many strong opinions on the best materials to use for this sort of thing. Geofkey in particular has some strong recommendations. I vaguely recall he liked the Sikaflex products, but my memory is hazy so don't take my word for it. I think you can find his posts on the subject in my Stealth Camper Build Thread, as well as other locations.

Buy Sika Sikaflex Polyurethane Sealants

I also know that Eternabond tape used and highly thought of. The only knock against it that I recall is that it is really hard to get off if you ever want to. I know it is often used as a repair material, though I gather it is also good for new construction. Mind you, I have never used it myself.

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond

I have heard strong recommendations against silicone caulking of various sorts. Mostly because nothing but silicone will ever stick to a surface once silicone has been used. Presumably that isn't true if you clean it off mechanically, but I am just passing the information along, not confirming it.