Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-01-2017, 01:23 AM   #1

Default RV Toter/newbie question

For the past few months I have been considering building an RV hauler out of a single axle tractor day cab. My plan is to do a bolt-on sleeper and an air ride 5th wheel hitch. I still have some connections in the trucking bizz and I can get a good deal on used day cab. I was a heavy truck mechanic and still have my class A CDL, so any work it may need doesn't concern me. The BIG problems that has stop me dead in tracks is registering the truck and finding affordable insurance. Here in the communist state of Maryland where I live they told me i would have to register the truck as "commercial" and my insurance agent looked at me like i was a space alien when I asked her about insuring a tractor/RV hauler. So my question is how are you guys getting around all of these problems. I know there has to be some way around these issues, but not knowing can cost me big $$$.

fresh fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 AM   #2

Check out this site. Home | Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide

and this forum

HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

Old 03-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #3

Thanks Porky, I can see by reading the post you sent, this is going to be one big headache. I hope someone here is from MD and give a more concise answer about all of the steps. In the post, I think the guy said he was from MO, the DMV issued him another VIN plate and changed the classification on the title. I hope that I will not have to deal with that. Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

Hate Maryland! (I used to live/work in DC/Md/Va area).

you could always form and LLC in Montana or (one of) the Dakota's...there are law firms that do this for a few 100 bucks.

you'll avoid sales tax (since there is now sales tax on vehicles or at least RVs) AND you'll pay one time fee (200 Bucks iirc) for life time tags.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

yes , I agree with you totally bushpilot this state is ridiculous when it comes to taxes and fees. I have searched the MVA website and from what I see they don't give a specific requirement one what would classify as an "RV" all they mention is having the proper class license which I have. Your suggestion has crossed my mind, since I remember back in the day all the trailers I worked on were registered in Maine because it was so much easier and cheaper.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #6

Setting Up South Dakota Residency for RVers (Pt. 1) | Interstellar Orchard

http://heggenlawoffice.com/tax-free-...Montana-LLC-RV

https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...FQ9rfgodTY4GDg
Old 03-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh fish View Post
yes , I agree with you totally bushpilot this state is ridiculous when it comes to taxes and fees. I have searched the MVA website and from what I see they don't give a specific requirement one what would classify as an "RV" all they mention is having the proper class license which I have. Your suggestion has crossed my mind, since I remember back in the day all the trailers I worked on were registered in Maine because it was so much easier and cheaper.
MOST states have laws to make this tax credit (I refuse to use the term loop-hole) illegal in their state - i.e. "If the vehicle is parked a majority of time in their state that you need register it in their state.

Many states even specify if the vehicle is parked in their state or even county then you have to register it in that location - theyve made a MINT off of parents (and students) who have a car at some college or university where they attend or have children that attend.

I know Virginia (especially Fairfax, where we used to live) would patrol communities looking for cars w/ out of state tags or in state tags that were missing their county stickers.

Could be a good excuse to park the coach in an enclosed storage (helps to increase security & value/condition).
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Maryland had that law some time back but I believe they took-off the books. I will have to double check that if i take that route. I work with some fellas who live in PA and they love to laugh at me every time we have the vehicle registration conversion how they pay so little and I get the shaft
Old 11-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #9

Must be nice to have the odd free state in the U.S.
Get to pick and choose how much Communism you want to be involved in
Up here in Communist Canada we need a permit to wipe our asses
Im building a GMC Brigadier TC and to get around it all Im getting the tags out of an 80s GMC school bus
much easier to convert to RV and my rig will probably be rotted into the ground before they realize its a truck with air brakes and not a school bus
Beaudacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #10

Beaudacious, where in Canada are you? Must be down east.....Out west we have lots of truck conversions. I am in southern Alberta and i know of at least a dozen within 50miles of me. I have even discussed custom building one on a Pete 379 with a local truck body builder and they have projects on file showing what they have done before.

Even our insurance company didn't flinch when we told them what we had, just sent them a few pictures of the unit to confirm what we had and we had an affordable policy in our hands within 24hrs. Registration was even easier, just took in the mechanical inspection form (ours came from out of province) and sales contract and 15minutes later walked out and put the plates on the unit in the parking lot.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #11

I live in SW Ontario and it's pretty bad around here
Took my old muscle car out for a cruise in the summer and counted 47 different cops patrolling around in a town with only 45000 population
Was lucky enough to not get harassed too much by them but come on who do they think they are protecting
Crime rate isn't that bad
Beaudacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudacious View Post
I live in SW Ontario and it's pretty bad around here
Took my old muscle car out for a cruise in the summer and counted 47 different cops patrolling around in a town with only 45000 population
Was lucky enough to not get harassed too much by them but come on who do they think they are protecting
Crime rate isn't that bad
they prefer to write tickets to those that can (and do) pay...plus theres less chance of getting shot at.