Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-25-2003, 08:17 PM   #1

What is the overall length of your rig and is the wheel base at least 57%.
Balance, have you weighed all four corners.
Is all water and sewage compartments heated.
If I ordered a truck with tandium axels at rear how many air bags would i have including front axel.
If the box (living quarters) was 34' what would be the overall length with volvo610 and with freightliner columbia.

C. COX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 02:21 PM   #2

Overall length of my rig is 40' from bumper to bumper.

Not sure of what your asking with the 57% balance, but my wheel base is 28'. I have not weighed all 4 corners independently. My overall weight out of the factory was 28,550 with approx 200 gallons of fuel. I have had a number of motorhomes and will say that this setup has by far the best balanced feel of them all.

My water & sewer are not heated, I am sure you can get it.

If you order a new truck with tandem axels you'll have 4 air bags, I don't know that any of the class 8 have a front axel air option, but they might. I added aftermarket air bags to my front axel. (highly recommend)

Couldn't tell you what your overall length would be on either chasis, I have never measured them. Some things which may very your length; are we talking day cabs or sleepers, new or used, are you going to modify a sleeper cab.

I will tell you that I would do what ever I could to keep overal length at or under 40'. Anything over this and you start to really limit your access to campgrounds and many states for that matter. Also my wheel base is long and it takes a country mile to turn this thing, I have gotten very use to the size and determining turning points in tight places, but it definetly takes some pre planning and looking ahead. (Specially when you have a car behind with 4 wheels down)

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:08 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by warpath:
Not sure of what your asking with the 57% balance<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Could be weight on front axle versus weight on the rear axle? If so, on Warpath's vehicle that'd put 16,275 on the rear and 12,275 on the front
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by warpath:
I don't know that any of the class 8 have a front axel air option, but they might. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Last year Freightliner offered them on their Century Class trucks ... don't know about this year or whether they offer it on other models.
SandCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 09:24 PM   #4

SandCarFan....EXISS is a trip to do business with!....3 e-mails & 5 phone calls later to get a name of a dealer close to me in Cincinnati then 3 phone calls to the dealer to get some idea of what a trailer built to my specifications would be....then an EARLY Saturday morning phone call form them telling me about a dealer close to me in Kentucky.....OY!...all this just to buy a trailer!....they told me that they used to be with Featherlite and went out on their own because of internal conflicts...paperwork is/might be here Monday and then when they get a trailer in for me to look at-maybe we can go from there....anyway...thanks for pointing me in their direction I really appreciate it!....geof-in Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:10 AM   #5

After working with the factory via several phone calls (twice with sales department, three times with the parts area) they've gotten better. Why did I talk with them so often? I bought some inserts to use in the interior walls to bolt things in, I bought extra floor tiedowns and the support framework for under the floor, I also talked with them re. wheels because I ended up replacing the steel wheels with some Alcoa wheels to match my truck.

Now WRT the local dealer where I bought the trailer Just suffice it to say I don't work with him anymore. Customer service skills absolutely sucked!!

The big difference between their trailers and the Featherlights is features vs. COST! You get a whole lot more on the Exiss than the Featherlight and you'll still pay a bunch less.

If you want a trailer with a bunch of additional things added at the factory, you may have to go with their Event line (vs. the Mach10).

As I said before, there are cheaper trailers out there but I really like mine. And I get complements every time I have it out on how nice a trailer it is. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the same trailer again.

[This message was edited by SandCarFan on July 27, 2003 at 11:24 AM.]
SandCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:43 PM   #6

>If you order a new truck with tandem axels you'll have 4 air bags, I don't know that any of the class 8 have a front axel air option, but they might. I added aftermarket air bags to my front axel. (highly recommend)<

A lot of the Kenworth and Petes have 4 bags per rear axle.

Warpath, what airbags di you install on the front/ Were these in addition to the stock springs or did you change the springs too?

Peterbilt did offer an airbag front end, but it was not well received. Maybe they don't work as well with 80,000 lbs behind you?

I do like your FLD with the new visor. I was contemplating a stainless one myself and after seeing yours, it will be on the cards in the near future.

My FLD has a 265" wheelbase and has a daycab and a 24ft box, makes it just shy of 35ft overall. That coupled with our Hallmark Racer Package Trailer at 29+ft, keeps us just under the Arizona State 65ft max. length limit.

madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote