Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-22-2004, 12:35 PM   #1

Check out this Petrbilt 359 conversion from Indiana. http://www.showrigs.com/paddywagon.html

W900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:12 PM   #2

Right on, finally another guy with class. I'm also working on a 379L Pete'. Still trying to decide if to leave it tandem or make it single axle. I enjoy a lot of the topics on this board and check it everyday. Take care.

shinyblackpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:28 PM   #3

hey shinyblackpaint
YEAH , another guy with class

we are in the process of buying a '95 379-119 . she has a 250" wb, cummins n-14 and a super 10
we will keep the tandem (for traction and stability when pulling a trailer) but we will remove the inside tires
we plan to remove the sleeper and start our conversion based on a lo pro 96" x 25' FRP box (used Penske ) we try to make her a sleek (and fast ) hot rod .
she will pull a 26' toybox trailer (should be right at the 65' overall limit)
we got a lot of crazy ideas for her (we enjoy to be different )
to stimulate and inspire (sp?) other DIY'ers i will post ideas, autoCAD drawings, and progress pics as soon as we start with the conversion

btw here is a pic;
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:30 AM   #4

Hi spooner, here is a pic of my 379L that I'm going to work on.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:26 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shinyblackpaint:
Hi spooner, here is a pic of my 379L that I'm going to work on.
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/tr...g-IMG_0007.JPG <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, the paint is not shiny black

J/K
looks sharp!
will be fun to watch your progress (i hope you keep us updated)
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:05 PM   #6

....Looks good!....What's with that bed?....got any more pix of that?...42" sleeper is almost like sleeping in a coffin....[been there and done it only one nite]...sure ain't shiney black is it...those look like maybe 6" stacks....love to mash on that Jake in Cincinnati on a hot summer evening-it would be reported as maching gun fire<snicker-snicker>....geof
Old 10-29-2004, 07:36 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KAYE RIVERCITY:
....Looks good!....What's with that bed?....got any more pix of that?...42" sleeper is almost like sleeping in a coffin....[been there and done it only one nite]...sure ain't shiney black is it...those look like maybe 6" stacks....love to mash on that Jake in Cincinnati on a hot summer evening-it would be reported as maching gun fire<snicker-snicker>....geof <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No I'm not keeping the "Dog House" on it(36") That's just the way I bought it. I want to do either a motorhome or toterhome conversion and get rid of my 26' Haulmark EDGE trailer and get a stacker (32'??or so) to haul my race cars/show cars around plus maybe do some travelling if I can pull myself away from work. I will probably be painting it black. My cars, 65 Satellite(U.S. model), 68 Coronet, 93 Dodge diesel, 98 Suburban , even the trailer are all BLACK way too much cleaning. Yes 6" stacks(no muff's)it's like a twelve-pack of Harleys goin' down the road when you hit the jake. For now just whipped up a set of fenders and a hitch so I could pull my trailer around. Sure lotsa power.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:07 AM   #8

shinyblackpaint,

I'd keep the tandem for braking power if you are going to pull a 32' trailer. My dad had a 68 Coronet like yours, only it was green. Of course, he sold it just before I got my drivers license, and bought me a Chevy Vega. I guess he thought that the 440 would get me in too much trouble.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #9

What a coincidence, my 68 Coronet was originally green too. Do you run a W900 now? Do you have a pic of yours? I really like the look of the tandem and sure there would be more braking capacity when your not on the jake I guess just have another diff to service, brakes, tires, and more aluminum to POLISH.

Here's the 65 Satellite at the track. Ran an 11.9? @ 1.7? 60'
Old 10-29-2004, 01:10 PM   #10

No, I am in the market for a W900 now. I own a small trucking company and have a 99 T-600 that just came in off the road. I was going to convert that, but I like the W900 look better. I run the T-600's and T-2000's in my company because of the better fuel economy. With fuel prices the way they are, I need any advantage I can get. So I am still in the planning stages. I need to talk to Jason at Quadra about stretching the frame and Lonnie at Showhauler about a conversion. I'm lucky though, I am less that an hour away from both of those guys. Nice looking Satellite!!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #11

Now that is what I am talking about. I want to do a later 359 (more modern brakes and running gear) but want round headlights and the classic look. A needle nose Pete or KW would also be very cool in my book or an early Freightliner conventional. The newer FTL classics aren't bad looking though.
Kevin
Old 01-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #12

Kevin-
I'm with you on the early KW or Petes, but you do NOT want an early Freightliner, whether cabover or conventional, because their build quality pre-Daimler-Benz is lousy. You will be going down the road wondering whether or not you closed the doors all the way. They rattle THAT BAD. I am not kidding. The newer FL's are far better built, and D-M is the reason for it.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:35 PM   #13

I am sort of fond of old F-liners. My Dad worked at the factory in Portland in the 60's. A friend's Dad had a 48 F-liner with so many miles on it that Cummins ran an add on how old the engine was and still running. I don't really want to get into the Mercedes F-liners since they are quasi-foreign now. Even though Paccar is certainly a multi-national company they are primarily US. Of course I could find an oddball like a Pacific or something. If you haven't been to Hanks page then you are in for a treat if you like old trucks.
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/trucks.htm
Someday...
Old 01-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #14

....I vote for the needle nose...and I want pix!...geof kaye
Old 01-18-2005, 04:50 PM   #15

....Needle noses are really cool, but don't expect to be able to cool much more than about 350HP in one, due mainly to limited radiator space. Other than that....?
(P.S.- Hank's page IS the spot for great truck pix! GA)
(P.P.S.- I really don't have a problem with the Germans- I hear most of them aren't Nazis any more.....)

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote